From: "MV" <maxv@vsnl.com>
To: "Dr Jayaprakash Narayan" <loksatta@satyam.net.in>
Cc: "Sanjeev Sabhlok" <sanjeev@sabhlokcity.com>
Subject: Re: Democratic political funding....
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 20:52:50 +0530

Dear Jayaprakash & Sanjeev,

I very much appreciate the work both of you are
doing. Wish i could join you actively, but i have
set other priorities for next few years, till then
can only participate passively.

-----

Any democratic movement that depend on funding by
donations can be easily compromised/influenced/controlled
by the contributors. This is exactly what is happening
today with the major political parties.

True democratic political movement should be funded
equally by all the members else it will lose it's
democratic nature in a short time.

It is actually *possible* to build a democratic political
movement in India with democratic membership based
funding.

Here is some simple arithmetic.....

Number of Members          = 5 Crores

Membership fee             = Rs.100 per year

Membership fee collection  = Rs.2500 Crores
in 5 years

(calculate the interest and the sum will be
much more, i leave it out since the membership
mobilization will take some time)

A membership based political party that can
grow to 5 crores members (5% population of India)
in 5 years, can win the parliament/state elections
and rule India in 10 years, if the party sticks to
democratically electing it's leaders/candidates.

Such a democratic party can/should pay it's district
level and up leaders what a top private co will
pay it's officers in similar positions.

I welcome your thoughts....

Regards,

MV.