India's Software Exports: Reply to Mr. Aggarwal

> > Dr. Roy does not seem to understand the basic nature of the software

> industry.

Mr. Aggarwal may be right to the extent that I quite likely understand
less
than do many others, but I did give a talk on the economics of IT in
Bangalore a few months ago, and am likely to do similar things again
shortly, so perhaps my understanding is not so bad.    However, nothing
Mr.
Aggarwal has said below seems to me to indicate that he or I or anyone
else
on IPI or anyone else anywhere, including Nasscom's Dewang Mehta and
everyone at Harvard and McKinsey, has the faintest idea at the moment of
how
to practically measure India's software exports in any meaningful
way.    My
original question stands and on this I would be extremely happy to be
enlightened:  what is the precise basis for the projection of $87 bn in
software exports by 2008 or whatever?   How far is it genuine and how
far is
it industry-hype or pie-in-the-sky?

Subroto Roy

> Indian software services firms win orders from international clients
> develop new applications or to modify the client's existing
applications.
> There is no software trade per say.  The only software that Indian
firms
> would need to import are developer tools and off the shelf packages
like
> Windows, Oracle, etc., the value of which is almost insignificant
compared
> to the value of the client order.   Once you have the basic software
in
> place, that serves as the IT infrastructure that is used to service
all
> clients.  Indian software companies do not need to import software for

every
> single client order.
>
> Dr. Roy is correct in stating that nonsense can be produced anywhere.
> However he should recognize that in the IT world, a company's market
> valuation can increase or decrease in minutes on the upgrade or
downgrade
of