Re: Happiness for all

Raju,

I support you on the income tax issue.  It is also a waste of precious
manhours spent in preparing tax returns.  I am sure there are other more
optimized methods of collecting tax than from so many sources.

Using a bank account as a key is not feasible because one changes bank
accounts a lot.  Some may not even have bank accounts.

I completely disagree on your outlawing cash transactions.  Our freedom is
sacrosanct.  You cannot take away my freedom to pay as I wish.  Also you
will give rise to many problems.  What if banks start charging exhorbitant
fees.  Then what??  A committee to decide what %age is a legitimate fee??
And more legislation to prevent banks from charging more than a certain
%age???

Abhijeet Pradhan

--- R Bharatiya <arantxa@vsnl.com> wrote:
> I read with great interest the posting made on India Policy Guest book.
> I will now proceed to list some points which may help in further fine
> tuning the approach paper.
> CORRUPTION
> As per the IPC,it only applies to public servant,receiving or giving
> gratification that is.The simplest solution to this menace of corruption
> would be not to have such public servant.But since that is not
> practicable,another solution is NOT to have them at all.Especially those
> in non-industrial departments like Income tax, City Development
> Authority,Regional Transport Authority etc. For instance,what will
> happen if Income tax dept is closed.Nothing catastrophic really.Less
> than 20 million people are paying IT as on date constituting a mere 8%
> of the total revenue collection of the government.Of these 20 million
> around 15 million must be those who are salaried employees in public or
> private sector,whose income tax can very well be collected by their
> employers rather than a separate dept.The money presently spent on
> paying salaries of income tx dept personnel will be the net gain of this
> excercise.( I do not have data on how much but assuming about 50000
> people @ Rs5000/-pm it comes to Rs 300 crores a year)
> It is time to use surgical knife to excise the very root of corruption.
> COMMON KEY
> There is no argument that a common or uniform key is a must for any
> planning of economy to succeed.But the problem here is not  merely of
> collating data on various resources under or with one key.If 30% of the
> population have no resources whatsoever,what good the data will
> do?According to one report in India Today the central assistance to NE
> states is about Rs5300/- per person! It is higher than the national per
> capita income.What good this redistribution(so called) of wealth has
> done to the lot intended to benefit from this? Nothing.
> As a beginning towards the common key,however,the bank account number
> can be taken as one.All cash transactions like in land deals etc. be
> banned and banks be advised to transfer amounts exceeding say Rs5000/-
> only from one account to another.The problems regarding forcing all who
> can afford to have a bank account and relating to secrecy etc must be
> overcome by suitable legislations.
> CONCLUSION
> The governments in last 53 years have been busy fleecing the well to do
> and creating power centres in the name of alleviating poverty.It is time
> to start dismantalling the power centres that are consumming all
> legitimate and not so legitimate wealth collected from the exchequer.
> Regards,
> Raju Bharatiya

=====
Ah Love, could you and I conspire, To grasp this sorry state of things
entire,
To smash it all into a million bits, And mold it back to heart's desire.

Jab purdah nahi koi khudah seh, to bandhon se purdah kya.

Abhijeet A. Pradhan, 44J, Reading Rd, Edison, NJ 08817
Tel #: 732-452-1157      email: perdi420@yahoo.com