FW: Crazy about Bill

I do't know the source of this article, I just received it from a friend.
If the contents of this mail are true, I feel ashamed of our MP's behaviour.
Why do't they maintain dignity and decency of the title they are holding.

Rao

Indian MPs crazy to meet Clinton

NEW DELHI-Indian parliamentarians Wednesday scrambled, jostled and
shoved
one another in order to shake hands with the US President Bill Clinton
after
his address to the joint session of Indian Parliament. The MPs were so
mesmerised by Clinton's 35-minute speech, that they left their dignity
behind and tried everything short of lifting American President on their

shoulders.

Wondering over MPs behaviour Defence Minister George Fernandes said, "he
was
ashamed." The Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pramod Mahajan was seen
shouting at MPs asking them to leave American President alone. Congress
leader Rajesh Pilot said MPs behaved with a "slave mindset." The MPs
even
mobbed the exit point and the Cadillac car of the American President.
After
the Watch and Ward staff, responsible for the security of the
parliament,
failed to contain MPs, the American secret service agents intervened and

literally pushed and nudged Indian MPs to extricate Clinton and his
daughter
Chelsea from the melee. A bewildered Watch and Ward official said he had

never witnessed such an incident before and it was for the first time
since
the inception of the Parliament that force was used against the MPs
inside
the Parliament House.

Earlier, an obliging Clinton reached across to those sitting in the
middle
and far corner of the benches to shake hands. Those who could not be
reached
ran across to the US President. Telugu Desam member of Rajya Sabha R
Ramachandraiah managed to put a tricolour handmade shawl round Clinton's

shoulders and asked his help to uplift the lot of weavers in his home
district. Shiv Sena member Mohan Rawle climbed on somebody's shoulder to

reach to Clinton and shouted on top of his voice urging US President to
declare Pakistan a terrorist state. Trinamul Congress Lok Sabha MP
Sudhip
Bandhupadhya jumped over the benches to touch Clinton's hands. Former
Delhi
chief minister and BJP MP Sahib Singh Verma told American President that
he
was representing world's largest populated constituency.

Indian MPs were so much sedated by Clinton that the Congress MP in Lok
Sabha
Saeed-u-Zaman after succeeding in shaking hands with Clinton wrapped the

shaked right hand in a handkerchief and did most of work thereafter with
the
left hand. Some members were seen sniffing and patting their hand after
touching Clinton. American President spent few moments with some lady
MPs,
who were sitting at a bench near the exit. But, they too had their share

catching the arm of American President. The red faced Vice President
Krishana Kant and Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee accompanying
Clinton
looked at helplessly. Mrs Sangeeta Singh Deo and Mrs. Ranta Singh, who
usually come to the House in decent clothing had worn saris in a casual
way
with their hair puffed out. At the end of the speech and the brief
session,
most of the MPs had become Clinton fans. A journalist quipped that if
Clinton had brought a resolution asking MPs to sign nuclear treaties and

forge a settlement on Kashmir, most of them would have agreed without
blinking an eyelid.

A parliamentary officer said as many as 300 MPs must have shaken hands
with
the American President. "I wanted to shake hands with Clinton and I did.

Because I have never heard such a brilliant speech," said
actress-turned-Telugu Desam Party politician Jayaprada. Her colleague,
TDP
parliamentary party leader K Yerran Naidu, who was seated in the front
row,
also complimented Clinton: "His speech was more than aimed at building
the
Indo-US friendship bridge. It rekindled in us the nationalistic spirit
of
being an Indian," said Naidu, before rushing off to Hyderabad to prepare
for
the President's visit. Leader of the Opposition Sonia Gandhi, seated
next to
External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh, muttered something to her party

colleague, former finance minister Dr Manmohan Singh, soon after Clinton

wound up his speech. But it was not known what her reaction was.

According to Congress MP Ramesh Chennithala, the best part of Clinton's
speech was his impromptu quote from the late Israeli Prime Minister
Yitzhak
Rabin: "You don't make peace with friends. It was the best possible, but

forceful phrase from the American President to insist that India and
Pakistan should chart out a new course of dialogue and peace," said
Chennithala. But to shake hands with Clinton, the Congress MP said, he
had
to push aside others. "I nearly shook hands with him when I was pushed
back.
I again came forward with much difficulty and spoke a few words with
him,"
Chennithala said with the thrill of a little kid meeting a Bollywood
star.
What impressed Congressman Amarsinh Vasant Patil from Karnataka was
"Clinton's mention of Bangalore". "The American President may be going
Hyderabad, but he knows Bangalore by name and is convinced that our city
is
the only one to compete with US cities," Patil remarked.

According to Janata Dal secular member C Narayanaswamy, it was Clinton's

statement that "America wants India to succeed and America wants India
to be
secure and strong" that made a mark in Parliament. "Clinton was at his
brilliant best. Suddenly we became his fans," the MP said. There were,
however, many MPs who found it demeaning to watch their colleagues
"behaving
childishly". Congress leader Rajesh Pilot said "the pushing and pulling"
in
the Central Hall of Parliament House to touch the American President
showed
that "we still behave like slaves." Meanwhile, the communist parties
boycotted Clinton's address and they staged protests against "American
imperialism." The officials said some 85 members belonging to five
communist
parties and the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) boycotted the two-hour event
protest Clinton's five-day visit which began in India on Tuesday.

In a joint statement, the parties said they were protesting "against the
US
imperialistic attitude towards Third World, including India," and warned
of
other demonstrations when Clinton travelled around the country. The
boycotters also accused Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee's coalition
government of bending over backwards to accommodate US policies, and
described a treaty on cooperation signed here Tuesday as a "sellout to
American imperialism."
"This is basically an American vision imposed on India. Clinton has
provided
the spectacles and Vajpayee is looking through borrowed American
glasses,"
said Dipankar Bhattachary, leader of the CPI-ML. "The Vajpayee
government is
giving the impression that we are stooges of imperialism," he said.