Planned cities

Does anyone have any comments regarding planned cities in India,
particularly Chandigarh?  What do people think of these cities? are they a
good idea?

I ask as I am studying for an MA in Social Anthropology and am attempting to
assess the role of the anthropologist in the planning of cities.  Perhaps
anthropologists could help ensure that people are not marginalised by city
planners, and that architects do not only adhere to ideological plans
formulated by their own desires.