My piece of mind

Hello all,
      Dr. Sabhlok's frustration is understandable, but beg to differ from
his view that there is not much hope. Given that this is a mostly a cyber
forum and many are based in USA, it is natural that it takes time for the
incubation of our ideas in to actions.
      Having seen a few other forums that profess same objectives as ours, I
belive that Indiapolicy is qualitatively better, in that it holds much
potential. As rightly said by others, one of the chief tasks is to reach the
college campuses in India, where the charged minds of the students can be
tapped. However, some caution.
      A couple of weeks back, John McCain, one of the republican contenders
for the primaries visited my campus, as part of his campaign. The student
government of my Univ organized a mock debate between the sympathizers of
both republicans and democrats. Though their discussions lacked the depth,
that environment made me wonder as when we can arrest the decay in our
campuses.
      College campuses have almost been taken over by unruly mobs.
Protesting students are attacked fatally and savagely by the other group. It
need not be a sensitive topic like reservations or singing vandemataram in
colleges. The biggest impediment is the college administration itself.
Couple of years back, in my almamater, REC, Warangal, we thought of inviting
Arun Shourie as a guest speaker and to judge a state level debate
competition. We were mocked at as how we can even dream of inviting a so
called controversial speaker like Arun Shourie. No wonder, we had to drop
our initiative.
      My point is, extending our discussion on to the college campuses has
to be carefully executed, overcoming the skeptics. The seeds were sown and
IPI grew in to a sapling. It is time to nuture it further. Many of us plan
to complete our Ph.d's and head back home, where we hope to do lot more. It
is that hope which motivates us to participate in these discussions.

regards,
Prasad Boddupalli.