Campaign Lotteries

Dr Sabhlok

Realising the need to cut Political Corruption at it's root and
relating that to obvious campaign expenses is logical. But to compensate
elected leader in terms of election expenses fails when the system does not
provide for similar compensation for those defeated in elections who also
spend similar amounts ! We need a fool proof system .

      Americans are affluent and they donate for campaign .
    But average Indian voter rather expects something in cash or a
    temporary comfirt from contestants and parties as  mentioned by
    Dr Sabhlok . Campagn financing is a controvercial topic even in US
    but it is a diluted issue because of wealthy society.
    But for us it is almost a life and  death issue.
    We have to tackle it in a different way.
    Is it posssible to have an ideal system where only Good people get
   campaign support from real unpaid 'volunteers'and 'true' donations in
cash and kind ! Can any campaign take place in near zero expense with
Gandhian Pada Yatra like methods ?. It is obviously not practical and near
Utopean right!.
   Then how to cut political corruption at its root ?
Lets have a new hypothesis now . Of Campaign lottery system !
   A system where lottery limit is determined by election commission, Common
public will see -- this party lottery, that party lottery, or
so and so Independant's lottery, at each vending sourse, and buys at his
sweet will as many lottery tickets as he wants or none. He knows it is
lottery  and it's purpose. Transparancy and fund control  measures just like
in any lottery are to be applied .

          Lets us not be carried away by some sentiments like considering
this as state supported gambling etc. It is a better evil, if at all it is
one, than current vicious circle. Emotions do not work here. We need
objectivity .
        Funds earned by Independants/parties will be governed with
considerable leniance and checks in force to ensure they are not spent for
wrong methods. Funds are open for scrutiny, the way each competing party
does the spending, which may entail in built in competetion for a healthier
campaign style .  It comes in media as to how much each party or candidate
gathered in Campagn Lottery funds . Some thing close to what one sees in US,
but in a different way.   US is mentioned not because it is considered ideal
but because of element of transparancy . Still to accommodate individual
donations also, election system should provide for such donations also with
normal restrictions against corporates and labour unions or a limit of 1000
Rs or the like.. which are already in vogue probably..

    In the conventional system now,as an individual I get irked if am
demanded or asked for party fund.     If I am a business man, I would not
donate 50,000 Rs to a party with a smile in heart unless I expect an out of
way favour!   But with lotteries, with full knowledge about the purpose I
may prefer to spend 30 Rs and buy all three different party lottery tickets
and read their agenda printed on it !
   Parties may also chose to mention on each lottery ticket that this
percentage of the ticket money goes to so and so 'Charity' or a 'Noble'
cause, depending on their choice and taste . This adds dignity to the entire
operation and releaves any gambling stigma !.
       All figures will be in media each time including the amount received
by charity recepients. This also entails in healthy competition for good
deeds and Candidates can spend with out a doubt about black money white
money etc. It also promotes inner party democracy because cadre doesnot
depend any more on God fathers' pockets .
   And as Dr Sabhlok was asking in one of his mails as to how a leader will
feed or entertain teaming visitors, guests the answer is here.. he does it
now from declared party funds thus earned thro lotteries , than raising ugly
collar as is now saying I am spending this much from my pocket for
party..see.. do as I say !

     In the age of money barter, and in our Indian circumstances, it appears
a worthwile concept to try atleast as pilot project in some costituency.If
some one thinks otherwise, an alternate solution atleast hypothetically fool
proof,is welcome.

   Parameswar

ps: one may not entertain any doubt that the tickets will not be sold ! (As
there was no response for this mail from any one, I sent this again with
little modifiaction).Some body may atleast ridicule this concept with
rational argum ent!