An IIT student replies to Dr Sabhlok, IAS

-----Original Message-----
From: Sourav Niyogi <souravniyogi@hotmail.com>
To: sroy@vgsom <sroy@vgsom>
Date: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [vgsom2001] Fw: Letter to Dr. Sabhlok, IAS, on his views on IIT
Kgp

sir,

I was perplexed by your mail. I didn't know how to react. maybe I believed
that Dr. Sablokh belonged to a different lot of IAS officers. While in
college  I came in touch with a few IAS officers and their behaviour was
far
below my expectations.

Aren't IAS officers supposed to be judicious and careful in their judgemnts
? Or they make judgements on the basis of a few observations ?

It is oft told that IAS officers are trained not to take decisions. When
they are at sub division level or district level they  take help of local
civilian committees to make decisions . At ministry level every decision to
be taken gets reffered to a commiteee. At every place their decision making
is based on the suggestions of a few - what is  referred to as a coterie.
THus coterie has born rather out of ineffective functioning of bureaucrats
than anything else.

West bengal has lost a lot of its past glory and there are reasons for
which
  the state should pull up its socks. However, is it not that this is
perhaps the only state that is  yet to be engulfed by terrorism. it is the
only state where inteclectual capital is more worth than the physical
capital.....
every state in some phase or other has gonrethrough difficulties and they
learn from their mistakes. so maybe the case with bengal .
and BTW aren't some IAS officers too not responsible for the "decandence".
IAS officers has over the years has only followed the politicians , why
arren't the supposedly the most brilliant in the country for once been able
to turn the tables?

I might have overreacted and thats why my comments are not very
coherent.but
  I just felt that I should write to you.
I still believe that Dr. Sabhlok suffered from a momentory lapse of reason
when he made those remarks.

sourav