Re: Fw: article on corruption in India

All the lengthy discussions on causes of corruption fail to mention that the
public is equally culpable for tolerating and promoting corruption. And the
educated people are more culpable than the uninformed folks. We have allowed
corruption and lawlessness to become a part of our culture. We will probably
ostracise or even lynch an adultrer in our village or community but people
who are known to take bribes or swindle public money or encroach on public
land are welcome with open arms in our society, our homes and our family
circles. We as parents abet our children to live off the fruits of corruption
and plead helplessness at the hands of the system.

People, more often than not, make a concious decision to bribe government
employees, just to make life a little bit more convenient. Corruption feeds
on itself.  People CAN stand up to corruption, AT LEAST SOMETIMES, if not
everytime. Maybe not alone, but certainly if they get togather and organize
themselves. If all shopkeepers in a locality decide to get togather and
refuse to pay Hafta to a corrupt SHO they can stop extortion. If all
taxpayers got togather they can force the Income Tax Office to listen to
them.  The key is to organize. We need good institutions and organizations at
all levels to protect people's interest. Remember the Indian Airlines hijack.
Do you think Jaswant singh went to Kandhar of his own volition to negotiate
the hostages release. No. He responded to pressure exerted by the relatives
of the hostages who organized themselves. Heard the story about the village
that stopped politicians from distributing liquor to the youth in the
village. In the same way people can organize themselves where they have
common interests to fight corruption. This is NOT TO SAY that we do not need
changes in our system and government. But even that will require getting
togather and organizing. The cat will only be belled by all mice togather. We
need sufficient outrage against corruption which could cement people
togather. There is great power when outraged people get togather.

Let us all be selfish, but selfish in an enlightened way. In this regard, let
 me again seek people's views on writing a Charter of Enlightened
Citizenship, for involving the public at large, at some point, after I have
refined and translated it into many languages. It is not entirely to do with
corruption, but it aspires to be more broad in its scope. I seek to address
the isolationism and "not my business" attitude that is so pervasive amongst
us Indians.

 ( I apologize if it is too simple for you alls sophisticated minds, but I
want this charter to have a broader appeal)

Charter Of The Enlightened Citizen.

 Let each citizen resolve:

1.  I will learn about my rights and protect them. I will help others protect
their rights. I will respect the rights of other people.

2.  I will have respect for the Rule of Law. If I find that a law is bad I
will try to get it changed. I will cooperate with other law abiding citizens
in doing so.

3.  I will not bribe an employee of the government. I will expect good
service from government employees and if it is denied I will protest clearly
and pursue the matter peacefully with higher authorities and elected
representatives.

4.  I will take care of my surroundings. I will avoid polluting air, land or
water.

5.  I will help my fellow citizens in need. I will help anyone injured in an
accident or anyone who is being assaulted or abused.

6.  I will participate in and contribute to organizations which represent the
common interests of citizens such as resident or shopkeepers associations in
my area.

7.  I will give the health and education of my children a top priority. I
will try not to have more children than I can look after easily.

8.  I will not steal public property and I will help preserve it.

In a message dated 6/26/00 1:58:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
ml_gupta@hotmail.com writes:

> I definitely don't deny the blame of not electing a good public
>  representative (be it on the local level to the national level), as you
must

>  be remembering the way student representative used to get elected in the
>  college level, till now I am not able to understand what was the role of
>  student Union representative against what they used to do, and even in
such
>  small population of people we were not able to elect proper representative.
>  (This was the precise reason some people (including myself) in this forum
>  suggested just before the last Loksabha election to run a campaign to
elect
>  the representative carefully on behalf of IPI)
>
>  In our country, the only way a citizen can influence the governance is by
>  voting, and that vote also is only applicable for his/her own
constituency,
>  or by running for the office himself/herself, or become a career civil
>  servant (which you can't do when you are over 28).
>
>  So in this kind of system the career civil servant has sweeping power,
this
>  I can illustrate with some observations I made :
>
>  i) While I was in Jamshedpur (Bihar) in 1996, the SP of that place
resigned
>  (he had a repution of being honest and strict) to take up career with
TELCO,