From: Navaneethan Sundaramoorthy <navanee@ee.byu.edu>
To: <debate@indiapolicy.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 9:45 PM
Subject: Suggestions for ---- NIT (supplemental income) Project outline

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok wrote:
> One block has been shortlisted in principle for consideration for the
> Experimental project on NIT. As this is still at the conceptual stage,
> discussion on IPI is acceptable. Kindly furnish views which will be taken
> into account in the project preparation. SS

Dear Dr.Sanjeev & Friends,

Since "this is still at the conceptual stage", I'd like to make some
suggestions.

 1) It might be a good idea to do this experiment at more than just
    one place ( atleast 2 or more ).
    Reason 1) The results of the project can be analysed more thoroughly.
       Moreover the results --benefits, success or failure--can be
       relied upon with more confidence than when the project is
       done at only one place. Many like Venu Gopal,Dharma Tejus
               (including me) have many concerns about whether the Govt
               Machinery will be able to manage such huge tasks without
               much leakage, corruption,etc.... Strong Positive results
               from more than one place of implementation could convince
               everyone about the viability of such a project on a
               national scale 'cos as someone pointed out
       "....we are not doing an experiment in a lab.....". If the
               project does not succeed, we cant go and try again...
    Reason 2) In order to prevent people from saying, "it might work
               in Meghalaya but not in other parts of the country where
       the culture, economy, mindset of the people are very
       different...."
    Reason 3) Even if the project is implemented more thoroughky in place
       & not so carefully in another, we would get an idea about
       what would happen when it is implemented throughout the
               country.
               Sloppy implementation ( if it happens unfortunately :-| may
               also help us detect areas where more care should be laid
               for a national implementation.

> (2) Conduct of a base line survey
> In order to evaluate the success of the project, a bench-mark survey of
> those below the poverty line has to be carried out in the Block. The C & RD
> Department has already carried out a survey to determine those below the
> poverty line. Unfortunately, the size of the population below the poverty
> line in this survey is extremely high, being in the range of upto 87%.
> Therefore, a  sample survey  needs to be carried out under the supervision
> of experts such as faculty from NEHU.
> (3) Econometric model
> Due to the extreme difficulty of directly determining the incomes of the
> poor, an econometric model which predicts the income of the respondent
> based on proxies such as occupation, land ownership, asset ownership,
> electrification of household, etc., would have to be approved. Experts
> working in the area would have to agree upon a reasonable model which will
> be incorporated in an appropriate computer software to be designed for this
> purpose.

> (6) Data entry
> After administering the survey, data would be entered in an approved
> software at the Block level. Since the Mylliem Block has already got a
> Community Information Centre from the Ministry of Information Technology it
> would be relatively easy for this to be done there. However, all 32 blocks
> are to get CICs within two years.

> (11) Evaluation
> At intervals of 3, 6, 9, and 12 months after disbursal, a Sample Ssurvey
> would be carried out to determine the behavior of the poor with respect to
> the money disbursed to them, as well as to evaluate the effect of this
> disbursal on their income level and quality of life.

2) As part of this project, some kind of PIN or Citizen ID ( i prefer this
name ), should also be issued. Of course, this might not affect NIT in any
way ( +ve or -ve ). But Citizen ID is something that India definitely
needs. With such a huge population, it is very important that we take
accurate stock of our present status -- in terms of population, economic
status, illiteracy,.... -- before we introduce any revolutionary measures
for the development of our country. A basic necesitty for effective
planning would be accurate (fairly) statistics about the number &
condition ( status ) of all people. Reasons for a Citizen ID would  be :

    Reason 1)  It would make a lot of sense to introduce an Integrated
InfoBase of all Indians. Currently different depts of central & state
govts are trying to maintain various forms of ID for individuals :
    * Ration Card ( this is still an important form of ID used in
                   many state & central govt offices )
    * Voter's ID ( with Voter Photo ID cards )
    * Tax Payer ID
    * Driver's License ( with recent computerised license cards..)
and myriad other forms of ID for different purposes.

    Reason 2)  From a Computer Engg's point of view i can clearly see the
                usefulness of a common Integrated Citizen ID that could be
                used for all the above purposes & many more ( like exam
                registration nos -- nowadays many exam results are
                available on the Internet. Registration nos can instead be
                Citizen IDs. Banks can get past history of
                applicants by easily requesting for past history
                ( criminal, credit... ) corresponding to a Citizen ID.
                People may infact be more responsible when they know some
                "Big Brother" ( or even Almighty ) is watching them &
                their every actions.........

    Reason 3)  Introducing this kind of ID along with NIT can help people
                ( and politicians ) understand the need for accountability
                & the need for an Integrated InfoBase of all citizens that
                would help proper planning for the future.

--navanee

//   Navaneethan, Configurable Computing Laboratory,
//   Electrical and Computer Engg Dept,
//                      BYU,Provo,Utah-84602
//   Home: 1-801-371-6820 Office : 1-801-378-7206