Re: free markets, competition, and monopolies

Does DOT, VSNL etc not come under perview of the MRTP.
What the telecom dept in India is doing is clearely a
monopoly act.
People in this country wait for getting connected for
years and its the corrupt employees (may not be all
but atleast most of them) who get freebies.
Even after a phone-line is sanctioned you would see
the greedy official and his sub-ordinates houvering
around your house for their palms being greased.

The basic argument here is that if (these corrupt)
telecom employees are eligible to get phones for free
just because they work for telecom dept, are people
who work at Income Tax dept eligible for a cut (or
share whole booty) in the amount they collect from
taxes.

Similarly every govt bus belongs to its drivers and
other staff.

Comming to Army, well if you operate a howitzer then
you get to keep it also govt provides you with free
shells on amonthly basis. similar argument holds for
guns and other arms as well.

There was a time when all employees of Karnataka
electricity borad were getting free power. but that
has been taken away now.

This is a point to think. Who bells this cat called
callous govt.

amar