free markets, competition, and monopolies

May be there is a general misunderstanding about what is meant by
free-markets?  At least my understanding of free-markets does NOT mean
free for all mechanism.  To my understanding, it is a market where entry
and exit of institutions, entities, etc. are determined solely by
consumers and not another institution like the Government!  This concept
is fundamental to my argument!!  Consumers are empowered and
institutions such as corporations (even the Government) must submit to
their will.

Since there are some sideline cheerleaders with poms-poms who seem to
worship Government Monopolies like good little "daisies", I thought I
bring an example to the debate room.

Department of Telecom (DoT) is a Government sanctioned monopoly where it
is NOT accountable to any free-market forces.  For the past few decades,
this self-serving institution has been "defecating" its version of
services to the general public without any market forces to check its
abuses.  Furthermore, the institution has conveniently offered free
telephones and services at the expense of the taxpayers!!  India remains
a technologically backward country because of monopolies such as DoT,
VSNL, etc.!!

Would any institution which is subject to market forces behave in such a
manner where it robs the consumers of their hard-earned money and dishes
out poor quality?  I think not!!

--
Sincerely,
Vamsi M.