Re: Debate on Reforms for the masses

Thanks Yaduvendra Mathur, Based on your views, the revised project outline
is below. Bibek can comment / take action as deemed fit. Also Barun, Parth,
S.V. Raju and others could do something about this. SS

Taking Reforms to the People through the Vernacular Press:
A Project Outline

Introduction

	While the Government of India is doing something, no matter how lukewarm,
on the subject of reforms, the States are going much slower primarily
because much confusion prevails and vested interests are the strongest at
the level of the masses and State leaders where much confusion prevails and
vested interests are the strongest where it is important to stoke a debate
at the level of the vernacular press.
But one of key problems discovered by Bibek Debroy is that the vernacular
press does not possess sufficient  persuasive material on reforms for
publication in this area. The editor of Dainik Jagaran reportedly told Mr.
Debroy that if he were to get such material regularly he could get it
translated and published. Similar might be the state of affairs of the many
thousands of other vernacular publications.

Proposal

	It is therefore suggested that an institute such as the Rajiv Gandhi
Institute for Contemporary Studies become a nodal centre (a kind of
Writers' Syndicate) for collection and dissemination of reforms-related
material. Profits, if any generated from this venture would be recycled to
the writers.
The RNI registers vernacular newspapers; DAVP maintains lists, too. These
lists of newspapers will have to be obtained and an up-to-date database
maintained by the Project Coordinator of the project at R.G.I. These
newspapers will have to be contacted and material sent out to them on a
regular basis. In addition, a database of writers will have to be
maintained and continuously updated, with requests being mailed out to them
to prepare material on various relevant topics.

Cost
The annual cost of this project would be in the range of Rs.5 lakhs, with
additional hardware component in the first year.  Diverse sources,
including NRIs, the World Bank, Planning Commission, etc., can be tapped
for this project. It has also been suggested that the private sector and
the PPIAF /WB can be involved. Even a set up like TERI could be asked to
network. They have some excellent people working on Infrastructure
Regulation and through them, RGI could work on bodies like CERC, TRAI, the
State Electricity Regulators, who would be more than glad to' stoke the
debate '. The LBS National  Academy at Mussoorie could also network with
probationers/younger Officers and encourage them to write for Essay
Competitions on Reforms in the language of the State of allotment.