Re: Debate on Reforms for the masses

Dear Dr Sanjeev
I totally agree that the so called second stage of reforms cannot take off
untill
something is done about the "marketing of the reforms " through a focussed
strategy.The role of the vernacular press, even those  not registered with
the DAVP,
no doubt is significant, and has to be thought through first.
The political leadership at the district and sub division level still cries
hoarse at
times against markets , being ill informed , but the fashionable
politicians at State
and Central levels have seen the light of the day on the reform agenda. The
RGI could
,
I propose  also involve the private sector and the PPIAF /WB .Even a set up
like TERI
could be asked to network. They have some excellent people working on
Infrastructure
Regulation and through them, RGI could work on  bodies like CERC, TRAI, the
State
Electricity Regulators, who would be more than glad to' stoke the debate '
TheLBS National  Academy at Mussoorie could also network with
probationers/younger
Officers and encourage them to write for Essay  Competetions on Reforms in the
language of the State of allotment.

Regards
Yadu Mathur

"Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok" wrote:

> This note was prepared after discussions with Bibek Debroy about 10 days
> ago. Views, please. SS
>
> Taking Reforms to the People through the Vernacular Press: A Project Outline
>
> Introduction
>
>         While the Government of India is doing something, no matter how
lukewarm,
> on the subject of reforms, the States are going much slower primarily
> because the real problem is at the level of the masses and State leaders
> where much confusion prevails and vested interests are the strongest. It is
> important to stoke a debate at the level of the vernacular press. But one
> of key problems, as discovered by Bibek Debroy is that the vernacular press
> does not possess sufficient material for publication in this area. The
> editor of Dainik Jagaran reportedly told Mr Debroy that if he were to get
> material regularly he could get it translated and published.
>
> Proposal
>
>         It is therefore suggested that an institute sech as the Rajiv Gandhi
> Institute for Contemporary Affairs become a nodal centre for collection and
> dissemination of reforms-related material.The DAVP registers vernacular
> newspapers. This list of  newspapers will have to be obtained from the DAVP
> and an up-to-date database maintained by the Project Coordinator of the
> project at R.G.I. These newspapers will have to be contacted and material
> sent out to them on a regular basis. In addition, a database of writers
> will have to be maintained and continuously updated, with requests being
> mailed out to them to prepare material on various relevant topics.
>
> Cost
> The annual cost of this project would be in the range of Rs.5 lakhs, with
> additional hardware component in the first year.
>
> Source of funding
>         Diverse  sources, including NRIs, the World Bank, Planning
Commission,