Re: ..ethanol

  "Komaragiri, Param (Param)** CTR **" <param@lucent.com> wrote:

Can some one focus on why this technical revolution did not take off.. and
if it really helps, presuming all the information factual, what we can do to
pursuade
any one to implement this in India !

I'll try. However I will have to question some of the information.

This despite the fact that India is a sugarcane surplus country -- one of
the main sources of ethanol.

 Is that true? Then how come they are planning more cane fields down stream
of Narmada dam?

Saigal, an automobile engineer, had invented a multiple fuel device (MFD)
and patented it (No.141054). He claims his device enables a vehicle to
switch to any mode of fuel without entailing much modifications to the
engine. ``With the help of the MFD, a petrol car can run on diesel, kerosene
or any other fuel,'' says Saigal.

Well that's only a claim. With my little knowledge of IC engines that claim
seems rather farfetched. One could have a MFD of that kind for a stove, but
for an IC engine it won't work well since the engine design, compression
ratio, fuel intake system etc will have to change for reasonable efficiencies.

Ethanol (also called ethyl alcohol) -- is a renewable source of energy as it
is derived from molasses -- a by-product of sugarcane. India has a surplus
of ethanol.

One of the reasons for that could be govt policies which explicitly
discouraged 'gur'/jagiri production, partly to have more refined sugar
production which will make the basket of goods that measure CPI, inflation
etc look good and partly under pressure from the sugar barons, and the
distillaries/liqour kings

A point that the All India Distillers Association (AIDA) has
been trying to make since 1993. Apart from sugarcane, rice, potatoes, and
high calorific bio-mass among other things are good sources of ethanol.

That shows a pathetic lack of concern for the socio-economic conditions of
India. How can we even think of using rice or potato for making ethanol!!?

Ethanol as a mode of fuel was first experimented in Brazil in the late '70s.

And one of the lesser known aspects of the experiment was massive
re-allocation of productive agricultural lands from food crops to ethanol
producing cash crops like corn,cane ... The poor suffered badly, by losing
their small plots of food growing land to huge farming conglomerates and
the total food production of food in the country going down. The poor lost
financially and nutritionally.

India's
import bill of crude oil for the last financial year (1999-2000) ran over Rs
50,000 crore.

 I am all for reducing this huge bill. But we have to look at viable ways
of doing it. And I don't see gasahol making any significant dent in the bill.

Ethanol v/s fossil fuels
* Is more eco-friendly as the emissions of noxoius substances are lower.
Compared to conventional fuels, emissions of carbon dioxide in ethanol is
lower by 57 per cent, that of hydrocarbon is 64 per cent, and 13 per cent
lower emission of nitrogen oxides.

64% less hydrocarbons from ethanol !? Shouldn't that be 100%? As far as I
know there is no hydrocarbons in ethanol and its combustion cannot produce
any either.

Tejus

* Gives improved performance of internal combustion engines.

 Wouldn't this have made the auto giants in the West to take this up long
time ago, despite the vetsed interests of the petro-chem companies?