Re: India need not live with poverty

"Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok" wrote:

>>virtual line purely based on that extra cash income. Can a few hundreds
>>or even thousands provide the foothold for them to stay above that line
>>and not slip even deeper into poverty?

>Thanks for the active debate on this topic. I am constrained by my acute
>carpal tunnel syndrome to rely on typists/ family to type most of the time.

I can understand that, my sympathies.

>Hence I will be v. brief. I am working on a detailed paper very carefully
>which will be put up in a week or so with much more cogent language and
>arguments.

I'll read it carefully.

>In the meanwhile, I ask: currently we spend about Rs. 4,000 per poor person
>on subsidies out of which hardly 20% reaches the actual poor. The rest is
>eaten up by bureaucracy and corruption. Would you rather continue to feed
>fat bureaucrats like me (some are not bureaucrats, they are merely rats:
>refer my poem written in 1990, on my personal web page) or spend a fraction
>on the thin and sinewy poor directly?

That's a very unfair question, or shall I say insinuation? Let me try to
clarify. The only reason I read through the msgs on this list and
occasionally respond is because I find the current situation unacceptable.
Realizing and acknowledging the pathetic status quo does not lead me to
accepting ANY alternative. If the proposed alternative is not much better
and workable I'd rather wait, because we are not doing an experiment in a
lab. There will be serious social upheavals and many people who are
benefitting from the current system at the lower levels, who are not
fat-cats or rats will be discarded by the wayside. The leaches will latch
on to another vein. The thugs running/ruining the economy in today's
laissez-faire (pronounced 'less fair'?) Russia are more or less the same
thugs of the Soviet era.
 If the proposed alternative is viable and significantly better, it is
worth going thru the phase of pain and tough love, but only if so, not to
just try out something. We have to also keep in mind that if this fails
because we didn't think through it, another attempt will become even more
difficult and a lot of goodwill, enthusiasm and hope would have been
squandered. That's why I am participating in this collective 'think-thru'.

Let's get a bit specific now. You said above that about Rs800 reach the
actually poor today. Are they being lifted above the poverty line? If not
how will Rs650 or Rs450 do that?

I have some serious concerns about implementation issues especially when it
comes to suggestions of PIN, id card etc, but I'll hold my thoughts on
that. Before that I need to get clarity on the basic premise of small doses
cash delivery eradicating poverty, however efficiently and honestly
administered.

>By NIT India will no longer be poor, just like we don't have small pox.

A nice assertion, but a bad analogy. Human societies and vector bound viral
communities don't have much in common. Also remember that TB has come back
in a more virulant form! :-)

Regards,

Tejus

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
--0-1350490027-960957844=:8272

<P> <BR>
<P> <BR><B><I>"Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok" <SANJEEV@SABHLOKCITY.COM></I></B>wrote:
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<P><BR>&gt;&gt;virtual line purely based on that extra cash income. Can a
few hundreds<BR>&gt;&gt;or even thousands provide the foothold for them to
stay above that line<BR>&gt;&gt;and not slip even deeper into poverty?
<BR><BR>&gt;Thanks for the active debate on this topic. I am constrained by
my acute<BR>&gt;carpal tunnel syndrome to rely on typists/ family to type
most of the time.</P>
<P>I can understand that, my sympathies.</P>
<P><BR>&gt;Hence I will be v. brief. I am working on a detailed paper very
carefully<BR>&gt;which will be put up in a week or so with much more cogent
language and<BR>&gt;arguments.</P>
<P>I'll read it carefully.<BR><BR>&gt;In the meanwhile, I ask: currently we
spend about Rs. 4,000 per poor person<BR>&gt;on subsidies out of which
hardly 20% reaches the actual poor. The rest is<BR>&gt;eaten up by
bureaucracy and corruption. Would you rather continue to feed<BR>&gt;fat
bureaucrats like me (some are not bureaucrats, they are merely
rats:<BR>&gt;refer my poem written in 1990, on my personal web page) or
spend a fraction<BR>&gt;on the thin and sinewy poor directly? <BR></P>
<P>That's a very unfair question, or shall I say insinuation? Let me try to
clarify. The only reason I read through the msgs on this list and
occasionally respond is because I find the current situation unacceptable.
Realizing and acknowledging the pathetic status quo does not lead me to
accepting ANY alternative. If the proposed alternative is not much better
and workable I'd rather wait, because we are not doing an experiment in a
lab. There will be serious social upheavals and many people who are
benefitting from the current system at the lower levels, who are not
fat-cats or rats will be discarded by the wayside. The leaches will latch
on to another vein. The thugs running/ruining the economy in today's
laissez-faire (pronounced 'less fair'?) Russia are more or less the same
thugs&nbsp;of the Soviet era.<A
href="http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=laissez-faire"></A><BR>&nbsp;
If the proposed alternative is viable and significantly better, it is worth
going thru the phase of pain and tough love, but only if so, not to just
try out something. We have to&nbsp;also keep in mind that if this fails
because we didn't think through it, another attempt will become even more
difficult and a lot of goodwill, enthusiasm and hope would have been
squandered. That's why I am participating in this collective 'think-thru'.</P>
<P>Let's get a bit specific now. You said above that about Rs800 reach the
actually poor today. Are they being lifted above the poverty line? If not
how will Rs650 or Rs450 do that?</P>
<P>I have some serious concerns about implementation issues especially when
it comes to suggestions of PIN, id card etc, but I'll hold my thoughts on
that. Before that I need to get clarity on the basic premise of small doses
cash delivery eradicating poverty, however efficiently&nbsp;and honestly
administered.</P>
<P><BR>&gt;By NIT India will no longer be poor, just like we don't have
small pox.</P>
<P>A nice assertion, but a bad analogy. Human societies and vector bound
viral communities don't have much in common. Also remember that TB has come
back in a more virulant form! :-)</P>
<P>Regards,</P>
--0-1350490027-960957844=:8272--