Re: A couple of new articles on IPI web site

Dear Sir,

"Government schools, colleges and universities shall be abolished"

This is, frankly, an obscene suggestion. The government has a fundamental
obligation to provide the basic human right of education. Every single
developed country in the world has a state education system. Education is
immensly valuable in its own right, but also with respect to raising labour
productivity and efficiency.

Even in purely economic terms, high stste spending on education makes sense.

Left to the market alone, the poorest (who make up such a huge proportion of
India's population) will be denied acces to this vital resource.

The single biggest action the Indian government can take to facilitate rapid
economic growth would be to provide free, universal education.

This can only come about through a significant rise in government spending
on Education - if needs be, at the cost of other fiscal commitments (eg the
military).

Richard Parr