A couple of new articles on IPI web site

a) Dr.Parth Shah recently made a presentation on Education at the ICSSR
seminar chaired by M.L.Sondhi where B.R. Shenoy was remembered as India's
major economist of the post-independence era by many including Montek Singh
Ahluwalia.

His presentation is now available in Word and HTML at:

	http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/notes.html

I particularly commend this to Maja Daruwala, Umesh Tewari and (also, as I
see from India Today, 31st Jan issue, Tavleen Singh, who is not on this
debate but desperately needs some education on education: would someone
send her over this article?) who believe that parents and the 'NGO'/
parental sector are less qualified to control truant teachers at the
primary level than our honorable "mai-baap" - i.e., folks like me in the
IAS. Hey, it is the most difficult thing for "us" folks to leave the main
road and enter remote villages to look at the reality, so used to  are we
in traveling to Delhi at the drop of a hat and holding seminars, meetings,
and other things. Very rarely will you find an Education Commissioners of
the state intensively touring remote (and I mean ---remote---) villages. It
is all God's country there: mayhem, absence of teachers, schools which
exist only on paper, etc. Get out of your chair and go visit some interior
villages, please!!, before recommending expansion of govt. machinery in the
villages. Don't trust people like me to ensure that teachers attend their
job, because it is impossible to do that with the kind of incentives that
operate in government.

This is how it can be done: (as proposed in the IPI manifesto)

"(b)	Government schools, colleges and universities shall be abolished and
the entire control over schools returned to parents. Teachers employed by
government would be terminated and given the first right to be re-employed
by the management committee of the schools or
colleges they were working with. These will be term-limited appointments
which can be
reviewed based on  performance.

"(c)	While government funding of education would continue, it would be
given in the form of
grants for buildings, and a lump-sum reimbursement of the salaries of
teachers, with a much
higher reimbursement for those schools and colleges that are located in
remote areas.
Schools located in the wealthier areas of cities and metropolises would not
receive any
reimbursement. Continuation of grants would depend upon proper management
of the
schools/ colleges. The financial conduct of Management Committees shall be
audited
regularly and transparently. Funds provided by government for education
shall be accounted
for, and such information made available publicly  on the internet and to
parents. Panchayats
shall appoint supervisors on a contract basis who shall be accountable for
the  operation of
schools within the jurisdiction of the panchayat. An Act to prescribe the
form of
organization of schools and colleges will be created to ensure good
management. Thus, it
would be parents who would appoint, pay, and if necessary, terminate the
service of
teachers."

b) One feels very happy and proud to see Jagdish Bhagwati in the list of
those honored by the Padam Vibhushan this year. Congratulations to him!! We
are all now waiting for his Nobel prize. May we now begin learning more of
Shenoy and Bhagwati as a nation, now that they have been 'regularized' by
govt. We can also now hope for the abolition of the Planning Commission.

c) An earlier article of mine (1982) published in the Caravan, entitled,
"Is Religion Necessary?" is now at

	http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/notes.html

d) Yazad's wonderful article recently published in ET is also at

	http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/notes.html

Cheers!
SS