Presidential?

     Dear Mr Chacko

     There are of course many flaws in any system.  The question is:
     overall which is the better system.

     The specific matter you raise is not a flaw of the Parliamentary
     system, it is a flaw of the way political parties function in India.

     The great advantage of a parliamentary system is that anyone can set
     up a party and. further, that any member of an existing party can
     argue and agitate and work for changes inside a party of which s/he is
     a member.

     A Presidential system does not give you or me either liberty.

     In fact what we have is a corrupt form of Parliamentary democracy, in
     which a Presidential form in fact operates inside the political
     parties.

     What we are trying to do in IPI is IMPROVE the Parliamentary system so
     that it becomes more democratic, transparent and effective.

     A Presidential system would be less transparent, less democratic and
     (from the viewpoint of the welfare of the people) even less effective
     than the system we have (though of course much more effective in terms
     of creating an environment in which there would be welfare for the
     personal pockets of the top members of the ruling party - whichever
     that happened to be).

     Prabhu Guptara

     Dennis Chacko wrote:

     Maybe a Presidential form of goverment may not work in
     India, but that still doesnt change the fact the the
     parliamentary system has many flaws
     One of the main reason , why people feel powerless in
     India, is that they have no control in the selection
     of candidates put up by the party .
     For eg. If the Congress/BJP has a canditate who the
     people feel is qualified , but the party nominates
     some else ( maybe with a criminal background ) , what
     can the common man do about it ? One of the major
     reason why people refain from voting, is that all the
     candidates , irrespective of the party , have dubious
     backrounds/track record  and so people think voting is
     a exercise in futility.

     Shouldnt the common people has a say in party
     nominations ?