Re: Recruitment in IT

I don't think there needs to be any policy regarding IT recruitment (in the
context of qualifications, accreditation etc). The only policy should be one
that lets the markets be free. Let the companies slug it out however they
wwant. If they think that brain surgeons make the best potential programmers
then so be it. Why should the govt care? All they should do is give the
economic freedom.

However, since the govt has an important and huge part to play in education,
policy (and thus the mentality that informs this policy making) in that (IT
education) context matters greatly:

>From Srikumar's note:
"I also know that there is a selection mechanism in place which in general
makes sure that the better folks get into these and the remaining get into
other non-professional coursesBy choosing from among this selected pool, I
have a better probability of getting the smarter guy!!"

With all due respect, the above argument is preposterous. Having gone thru
the ridiculous process of getting into engineering school in India (but
choosing not to go) I can safely attest to the fact that what was tested was
neither intelligence nor aptitude but test taking and rote memorization.
This is SO not what being a good coder is about. Computer science is more of
an art than a science. And thus comparing it with hard sciences or economics
is flawed! the field is changing radically as we speak.

I work at a fairly successful software company in Seattle and when we
interview prospective software engineers what matters is if they can code
upto the depth required and we test it to our satisfaction. We care two
hoots wether s/he even went to high school. I myself have a completely
unrelated degree in fine arts and am a self taught programmer. And I am by
no means alone.

You don't get extra points for rubbing the sticks longer, you only get
points for making the fire.

I am sure that the new generation indian entrepreneur cares only about
experience and skills while the oldschool will continue obsessing over
labels in our traditionally classist way. It is only _this (latter) group
that will continue to think that a good IT education is something you can

get *only * at a handful of schools and is something that is done *after*
you get your hallowed engg degree.
I just hope no one let's that group anywhere near IT education policy.

cheers,
rakesh