Re: Recruitment in IT...

--- prabhu.guptara@ubs.com wrote:
>      Is there in fact any evidence that school
> graduates make any less
>      effective software programmers than graduates?

Is there any evidence that school graduates make
any less effective economists than, say, graduates
of Delhi School of Economics?

>      might it be the case that talented people with
> LESS than a school
>      graduation could make equally good programmers?

Might it be the case that talented people with LESS
than a school graduation could make equally good
economists, historians, microbiologists, anthropolo-
gists, journalists and whatever?

Excuse me for being rhetorical, but I find annoying
the imputation that the people needed to build
software
are somehow less in need of (formal) training than
those pursuing other productive activities.

Oh yes, "talented" people with unrelated (or no
formal)
qualifications can and do program to the satisfaction
of commercial enterprise, but recruiters prefer to
hire people with professional degrees in Computer
Science for the same reason that businesses hire
MBA's:
some modicum of a guarantee that the person has been
imparted skills relevant to the application domain.
Employers are just being sensible; I fail to see how
their policy amounts to "discrimination".

Sikhivahan