Re: Patient wait for the laws

Here are my 2 cents worth in the field of elementary education :

First let me try to put down how education system of state of Maharashtra
(That's where I am from) works (I might be wrong for some point, so please
correct me). As far as my understanding goes, the only elected offcial
overseeing the education is Minister of Education (He is supposed to see the
overall educational scenario). From that point downward everything is
beaurocracy.

Now coming down to the school education, there is Maharashtra State Board of
Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, Pune (State Board), which
formulates the syllabus, conducts exams etc. This Board has many divisions
like Nagpur, Pune etc. That's where probably local courses are designed.

Now, each student is expected to learn 3 languages (Hindi, English, and
third language, they have a extensive list of that, Marathi is not
compulsory (atleast it was not when I was doing my schooling)). Other
courses can be taken in first or second language (like Maths, Science,
Social Science etc.) This totally depends on the school.

Now coming down to Schools, there are primarily following types of schools :

1) Schools run by Municipal Corps (Medium of instruction is primarily
Marathi, Hindi or any other language, hardly u'll find a english School in
this category). These are virtually free, and also are in largest numbers.

2) Schools run by Charity organizations (like mission, education societies
etc.), medium of instruction varies, fee is reasonable,  standard is good
(These schools forms the backbone of the Quality School education system).

3)Schools run as business (under the name of education societies), medium of
instruction, primarily English, very expensive.

Now its clear only schools falling under category one are directly funded by
the Govt. Students of category 2 and 3 also get benefitted by using the text
books (which are subsidised) of the state boards.

Schools falling under category 2 and 3 are the schools where kids of Middle
class goes.

So when we are talking about compulsary education (or whatever name you want
to call it), we need to concentrate on the schools of category 1.

Schools of Category 1 are mostly run by the local Govt. (i.e. from the
district collectorate), who are not answerable directly to public and there
own kids go to schools of Category 2 and 3.

Now I propose following basic changes in the system, and what IPI can do to
achieve these :

1) Every local govt. should have education board, director (or whatever) of
this board should be directly elected by the local population (not a very
novel idea, but it works), this person'll have some executive powers as far
as education and the school matters are concerned. By doing this we are
making system answerable to common man. This kind of arrangement would also
have more transperency in handling of funds.

2) We in IPI should start writing to MP's and MLA's urging them to take
stand as mentioned in the point 1, and make some legislation to that effect.

And this should actually be our (IPI) work.

Regards

Manish