RE:Zoning laws from Sameer

http://www.indiapolicy.org/lists/india_policy/2000/Jan/msg00115.html

I think this is a very important subject, and obviously ignored and the
result is all the mess you find in our cities and towns all across the
nation. Though there are bureaucratic layers and procedures requiring
citizens to follow paper trails and ask for permissions before taking up any
construction work. However, cities hardly have any specific and well thought
out guidelines or laws that govern their decisions, and instead, it becomes
another channel to take bribe.

I think there is nothing wrong in learning from more advanced countries,
such as the United States, who have done very well in this front.

If I remember correctly, lot of killings in Bihar (certainly an extreme
case) are happening on account of land disputes. I am sure a proper property
planning can help resolve such critical issues too.

Umesh