Zoning laws from Sameer

Thanks to: "Sameer Bandhu" <bandhu@petris.com>
Hi Sanjeev,
Great to hear that you are back in India. You can now apply your western
skills to the Indian situation.

Although I have a B.Tech in Urban Planning, it's been a while that I
practised it. I have drifted more towards the computer side of things--
Geographic Information Systems or GIS is what I specialized in during my
graduate school. Let me try to answer your question...

The tragedy in India is that although state and federal governments have
"town and country planning" offices (TCPO), there is no power delegated to
them. TCPO's have been serving the PWD or the Municipal corporations in
states traditionally. The fedral TCPO is more of a consultancy rather than a
TCPO.

Some states do have legal system that makes it mandatory for all building
plans to be approved by the TCPO- Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh are some
of those states. Haryana enacted the Haryana Urban Development Authority
(HUDA) legislation and Punjab enacted the Punjab Urban Planning and
Development Authority (PUPDA) legislation, so things have changed for the
better in these two states too.

The local municipal authorities or TCPO (depending on the state) writes and
passes the subdivision regulations and zoning ordinances. Delhi is
different-- not only does it have two municipalities, it also has what is
called the Delhi Urban Art Commission (DUAC), which makes sure that Delhi
remains beautiful. I am not sure if you would agree with that though. :-) In
the US there is a great stess on subdivision regulations and zoning laws,
things India should probably learn.

For a town planning and architecture related search engine point your
browser to http://www.cyburbia.org . If you search for zoning you will find
zoning ordinances for different US cities.
(http://cyburbia.ap.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/pairc-search?words=zoning )

Take care,

-Sameer

I had met the Director, Urban Affairs, GOI, a few months ago and asked
for
a copy of zonig laws prevailing in India. He expressed complete
ignorance
about such laws. Without these laws we have a total mess all over urban
India. Does anyone have any info on such laws in India and if so can
they
send it over? We need to look at the nitty gritty of such matters and
debate these, before India becomes a big slum.

BTW, my wife looks after urban affairs and I look after housing in
Meghalaya, and it would be of great help to us to look into such laws.
If
you know about these laws and can send over info (from any part of the
world), that would be v. useful. If you have time and can research the
internet and provide a bunch of relevant sites that would be v. useful.
If
the laws are not in wordprocessed format, and you wish, you can mail
the
laws to:

Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok, IAS
Commissioner and Secretary to the Government of Meghalaya,
Departments of Housing, Arts and Culture
Additional Sectt. Building, #510
Shillong - 793 001
S a m e e r   B a n d h u
b a n d h u @ p e t r i s . c o m