Re: FW: EDUCATION-BANGLADESH: Impressive Progress Since Jomtien

Thanks, Maja.

I like 2 things here (among others):

1.	The teachers are recruited from the local community

2.	A school day is only three hours, and six days a week. The timings are
decided by the parents, who tailor-make the school calendar to suit the
interest of the community.

BTW, the IPI manifesto is almost entirely on the same lines. Parent choice
and control. But, how, may I again ask, is this related in ANY way to:

> Following on its Jomtien commitment, Bangladesh made primary
> education compulsory under law in 1990.

Kly send copy of Bangladesh law on compulsion since you advocate it so
vigorously. I want to see why you advocate compulsion and arrest and
torture of parents while being a human rights champion. BTW, my wife Smita
studied child labour in Bangladesh in the last few years and it was
published as, "Child Labour in Bangladesh" (joint publication) in
International Journal of Technical Cooperation, 4 (1), Summer, 1998. I'll
try to put it up on the IPI web site. There has been NO effect of this
compulsion of education on massively prevalant child labour, as far as my
recollection of that article goes.

The burden is squarely on you to prove that compulsion serves any purpose
whatsoever. I need a very specific answer, a specific philosophical
underpinning, a specific pathway to higher levels of education, and greater
democracy.

Sanjeev