RE: compulsory education

Education is a fundamental right. It is for the government to ensure the
implementation of it. They must do this through judicious interventions.
Encouraging private investment and assuring the best utilisation of public
monies. More than anything they must assure accountability and take on the
task of supervision to ensure that the public policy of universal education
becomes a reality. Just because the government refuses to implement schemes
and supervise them properly does not mean that education should not be
compulsory. Quite the opposite. It should be compulsory and it should be
implemented with greatest rigour. The government that does not educate
children when it is the child's fundamental right to be educated is really
violating the child's rights. India has promised to have an entirely
literate population in the very early years of 2000. These international
obligations have got to stop being cosmetic and have to become a reality. I
do not have the details of the economic argument but I am certain that 6%
spent on education - the largest amount being properly utilised at the
primary level - would have more positive knock on effects than any other
intervention in modernisation such as infrastructure development, private
investment, etc. We are bottling up and throwing away the genius of our
people and losing the potential of millions and millions of lives while we
debate this endlessly. We debate this endlessly because we are not affected
by the outcome and there is no urgency for us to bring the idea to
fruition.All my children and my grandchildren will go to school and get
educated. For me that is compulsory!

Maja Daruwala