compulsion and education?

At 06:54 PM 01/12/2000 -0800, "Maja Daruwala" <majadhun@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
wrote:

>All this is conventional wisdom now. Compulsory education and commitment of
>money to it is the proven vehicle for progress but if the 320 million middle
>classes in India can progress without investing in the others and still
>prosper 'why bother' seems to be the governments (and the opinion making
>classes) subtext and we all seem to be in agreement.

Does compulsion mean that you (or your representative Police) would arrest
or torture those parents who do not send their children to school? How do
you propose to compel me to send my child to your (non-functioning, with
missing teacher and no building or blackboard) school? How are compulsion
and education (the ability to discriminate and choose freely) compatible?
What philosophy but the fascist permits the use of force to educate anyone?

IPI manifesto on education is below (from the Dec. 99 version). Kly
critique this. Not many here would go by a coercive "solution" to a freedom
loving citizenry. Incentives, not coercion, should be our strategy.

1. 	Education

Education has many purposes, including skill and awareness building,
empowerment, and creating a
citizenry willing to participate in nation building. Government can assist
by providing the framework
needed to ensure that the educational process creates a confident  and
concerned citizenry. This
framework includes:

(i) 	Provision of affordable access to the facilities for education.

(ii) 	Those who teach our children need to be competent and continually
strive to keep themselves
informed of the latest  developments in their disciplines.

(iii) 	Those who create policies and set standards for the education of
India  have to be answerable
to parents, and accountable for their  performance to the entire society.

Consistent with the above framework, the following would be implemented.

(a) 	6% of the Gross Domestic Product would be targeted for being spent on
education by the
nation. As far as possible, parents shall bear the  responsibility of
educating their children.
Various forms of support will be made available to those unable to afford
education of their
meritorious but poor children, such as need-based loans to attend
institutions of higher
 learning.
(b)	Government schools, colleges and universities shall be abolished and
the entire control over
schools returned to parents. Teachers employed by government would be
terminated and
given the first right to be re-employed by the management committee of the
schools or
colleges they were working with. These will be term-limited appointments
which can be
reviewed based on  performance.
(c)	While government funding of education would continue, it would be given
in the form of
grants for buildings, and a lump-sum reimbursement of the salaries of
teachers, with a much
higher reimbursement for those schools and colleges that are located in
remote areas.
Schools located in the wealthier areas of cities and metropolises would not
receive any
reimbursement. Continuation of grants would depend upon proper management
of the
schools/ colleges. The financial conduct of Management Committees shall be
audited
regularly and transparently. Funds provided by government for education
shall be accounted
for, and such information made available publicly  on the internet and to
parents. Panchayats
shall appoint supervisors on a contract basis who shall be accountable for
the  operation of
schools within the jurisdiction of the panchayat. An Act to prescribe the
form of
organization of schools and colleges will be created to ensure good
management. Thus, it
would be parents who would appoint, pay, and if necessary, terminate the
service of
teachers.
(d)	Education would be imparted in languages most appropriate to the
matter being taught.
Education in English shall be encouraged in those  disciplines where the
competitive interest
demands this.
(e) 	The creation of new private universities will be encouraged.
(f)	Vocational and technical institutions which are  better suited to teach
specific topics would
be encouraged.  Curricula for such programmes shall be based on inputs
received from
 industry.
(g) 	Teachers would be compensated, recognized, and rewarded in both
material and honorable
ways.
(h)	Opportunities shall be made available for teachers to better themselves.
(i)	Participation in adult education programs in  areas with a poor track
record in education will
be encouraged.
(j) 	Educational standards shall be established with the full participation
of parents at the school
level