Re.: compulsory education

Re.: arguments on compulsory education.

Parents naturally wish for a better life for their children and will invest
in their future. However, I’m not so sure that India is ready for
‘compulsory education’ – anything compulsory is bound to be resisted.

Here where I stay (Assam), education means big money for the state’s
politicians. The last govt. (Congress) appointed 60,000 teachers in one fell
swoop. The quality of these teachers has to be seen to be believed. The last
(Congress) govt. has condemned generations of children to illiteracy and
ignorance from ‘education’ by ignorant teachers. The present (AGP) govt. is
not much better. Many schools have no buildings and no blackboards. The
State has no money for our children but has enough to waste on the netas and
babus ( 4,70,000 govt. employees in a state with about 2.5 crore population!
)

The govt.’s role should be that of a facilitator. The govt. should not try
to ‘do’ education, because the govt. is not a doer. This is one fundamental
truth that our netas and babus will have to learn.