Re: Kashmir: a different perspective

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:53:43 +0000

I agree wholeheartedly.  Kashmir is as much a land of
Muslims as of Pandits.  I recently read an auto ad from
BMW which stated "in the beginning nothing belonged to
no one, and now the road belongs to BMW". We are the BMW
now in Kashmir.  Before the separatist movement started,
for decades, Kashmiri Muslims lived in peace with the
rest of India, Pandit Nehru and the rest of us bending
over backwards to appease them, Shawlwallas and
furniture wallas walking the streets of our cities doing
brisk business, houseboats shining on the lake with
tourist rupees, Amarnath trips and Bollywood shootings
pouring considerable money into the local economy. I do
not think common man in the streets of Srinagar was
oppressed and wanted to separate from Hindu India. These
are all gimmicks produced by the Muslim world.

Islam, in its practice in recent times,  have become a
strong political force, intrusive and intolerant almost
like a cult, and set out to Islamize the world. Even the
peaceful and secular Muslim countries like Egypt,
Turkey, Algeria and Indonesia are ravaged by these
fanatics who seem to be winning the battle over moderate
mussalmans.  Muslims have become Islamists now and their
extremism has become a real threat to post cold war
world peace.

No one can believe that any sensible Kashmiri would like
to join a bankrupt and lost country like Pakistan.
Minority Muslims such as, Sias and Ahammadis live far
worse in Sunni Pakistan than minority muslims in general
in Hindu India.   This so called liberation would have
ended long time ago were it not for the active support,
both militarily and politico-religiously, provided by
Pakistan and Afgan mercenaries and compounded by the
baby steps our government has taken towards this problem.

We must let the world know that in addition to legal
documents from Hari Singh, 40 years of possession has
legitimized our claim over the territory. Right over the
hill China is occupying Tibet and no one can tell China
to leave. I do not believe Israel will return all the
seized land to Syria either. Kashmir is ours and ours to
remain. The whole nation must be laser focused behind
this sentiment. Force and aggression must be met with
greater force and aggression. As General Powell
said "overwhelming force used cautiously".

I do not know if the Govt. of Farookh Abdulla and New
Delhi takes the people of Kashmir in confidence and
level with it and request patience. Without reaching out
to people and otherwise causing no additional harm,
Indian forces would appear as outsiders, destabilizing
the local scene and thus unwanted. We must remove the
distrust muslim Kashmiris has with hindu India.

Having said all this, the administration must also
realize the plight of Kashmiris and provide security and
opportunity to pursue happiness to its Kashmiri citizens.
All their resentment is not religion based and we have
failed to integrate them fully within the national
framework.