Kashmir : a different perspective

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:28:17 +0530

Kashmir is an issue that is becoming very expensive for India to ignore
. By expensive , I am not talking only about the economics of it . My
opinion is that people in India want a solution . Obviously , the
solution has to be satisfactory to India . My view on this is
unconventional , but completely in line with India's long term interests
.

India has been apprehensive about the ' internationalisation of Kashmir
' ever since Nehru raised it at the United Nations . To an innocent ,
objective observer , the obvious assumption would be that India has
something to hide . I feel that a free and fair plebiscite should be
held . Yes , it is quite probable that the Kashmiris would vote against
us . Let them go . If they hate this country so much and think that
their lives would be better with Pakistan or as a separate state , let
them leave . But under firm conditions . They should be clearly told
that they are not welcome on this side of the border . The entire border
must tightly sealed and no inter-movement will be tolerated . Absolutely
, no economic support will be given .

What India does after this is absolutely crucial . The only method to
discourage further separatist movements is rapid economic growth . If
the additional funds saved from a significant cut in the defense budget
( a huge amount ) is efficiently utilised and there is considerable
progress , this will certainly deter separatists . The same concept
could be applied to other areas such as Assam , Tripura , etc.

While I admit there could be several flaws in my argument , I feel the
time has come for us to move from this status quo position . This
solution is also the most likely to be accepted by all three parties --
India , Pakistan and most importantly , the Kashmiris . On the surface ,
this might look like a sell out , but , in a larger perspective , it is
truly nationalistic .

Vikram Vasu

Realpolitik

http://www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/realpolitik

(forum for discussing India-related issues )