Is India a model Democracy?

I think not!!  It seems that I have been wrong on this issue.  I
consider freedom of communications to be central to any powerful
democracy in the world.  Here is a disappointing comment made by Sushma
Swaraj:
__________
"It was a revolutionary step to open up FM radio to private
players.....But it will only be for entertainment. News and current
affairs will continue to remain with AIR,"

What I would like to know is how the Government expects to produce
quality regional news better than the regional FM stations which are
empowered to do so?  In essence, the population remains under the strict
control of the center while they remain ignorant of regional concerns
which are more important for local democratic institutions to function
efficiently.

--
Sincerely,
Vamsi M.