Christian Superiority

Here is a speech from right-wing Christian fundamentalist Pat Robertson,
which no doubt our Leftist Indians would be quite gleeful over. The Indian
Left should make every effort to join the Ku Klux Klan, in order to make
common cause with them. They are both on the same side, after all.

===========
url:
http://www.indiapost.com/Exclusives/IPExclusives.htm

IndiaPost: Hindu Chutzpah Stings 'Ayatollah' Robertson

First a little background on what Robertson has said
about Hindus and Hinduism and that is followed by the
Subodh Chandra Vs Pat Robertson Duel:

On Friday, December 8, 2000, Rev. Robertson spoke at
Cleveland's City Club-the longest running free speech
forum in the nation.  After his speech, Subodh
Chandra, a lawyer by training, asked him about some of
his quotations.  Subodh Chandra's question and
Robertson's answer were broadcast nationwide on
hundreds of public radio stations, and were televised
on December 11, 2000 on WVIZ, Channel 25, Cleveland.
A videotape or audiotape copy may be ordered from
www.cityclub.org.  The exchange is transcribed below
the quotations below.

 Christian Nation

700 Club, 12-3-81:   "The Constitution of the United
States, for instance, is a marvelous document for
self-government by Christian people. But the minute
you turn the document into the hands of non-Christians
and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the
very foundation of our society."

 700 Club, 7-2-82:   "It is interesting that termites
don't build things, and the great builders of this
nation almost to a man have been Christians, because
Christians have the desire to build something.  He is
motivated bylove of man and God, so he builds.  The
people who have comei nto these institutions are
primarily termites.  They are destroying the
institutions that have been built by Christians
whether it is universities, governments, or our own
traditions that we have . . . the termites are in
charge now, and that is not the way it ought to be,
and the time has

arrived for a godly fumigation."

  700 Club, 6-13-91:   [Conversation responding to a
Muslim leading prayer in Congress:   Co-host Sheila
Walsh:  "Oh boy.  So where does it stop?   Robertson:
It doesn't, Sheila.  You'll have Hindus up there now.
Baha'i.   Walsh:  Do we have white witches opening in
prayer?   Robertson:  Undoubtedly.  You'll have all
kinds of weirdness.  This is the opening gun.  America
was founded by Christian people.  There isn't any
question about it.  It was a Christian country.  The
Supreme Court said, "This is a Christian nation."

700 Club, 7-26-88:   "...Ouija boards aren't harmless.
Ouija boards are often time-directed by demonic
spirits. There are various types of chants. The
so-called TM Mantras are actually prayers in Sanskrit
to various Hindu Gods who are in turn demons, and you
are saying something you don't understand when in
essence you are praying to

a devil to come to you."

    700 Club, 9-11-89:   "Hinduism and many of the
occult activities that come out of the Orient are
inspired by demons and demon worship...There's this
concept that all religions are the same and all are
good. That is not true. The worship of the Devil is
not good."

    The New World Order, 1992:   "If anybody
understood what Hindus really believe, there would be
no doubt that

they have no business administering government
policies in a country that favors freedom and
equality."

  700 Club, 1-7-91:   "[W]hat is Hinduism but Devil
worship, ultimately?"

  700 Club, 1-8-91:   "You mark my word: the
secularists have stripped society of Christianity, or
are trying to do it, but when the vacuum is filled, it
isn't going to be anti-God. No way. It's going to be
God from India. It's going to be Hinduism."

  700 Club, 10-1-93:   "The poverty of that nation,
the poverty that Hinduism has brought upon them. They
had one million Gods in the Hindu pantheism. Here
they've got a God that's got a face like an elephant."

  700 Club, 4-20-94:   "These [Hindus] are the folks
who are bringing New age to America and telling

us that they have something better. I mean, and I've
heard some of these so-called liberals who say, 'Oh,
you just don't understand how good Hinduism is.' Just
look at it."

   700 Club, 3-26-95:   "The thing about Hinduism that
is so pernicious is -- and, Ben, you would be
interested in this -- this is Apartheid with a
religious sanction, because the untouchables basically
were Black people and the Brahmins were the white
ones. The fair-skinned were the Aryans who came in and
overcame the Davidians who were the native people. So
in order to keep them under subjection, they said `God
says that when creation   took place, you were
inferior,' and if a shadow of an untouchable even goes
across the faith of an  Brahmin, the untouchable will
be punished severely, maybe even killed....So we're
importing Hinduism into the United States. Edward
Casey is here in Virginia Beach, talking about
reincarnation. The whole thought of Karma, of
meditation, of the fact that there no end of life, and
there is an endless wheel of life, this is all
Hinduism...This is the kind of thing we think is
elevated, whatever, the origin of it all is demonic.
We can't let this kind of thing come into America."

  700 Club, 7-3-95:   "Significantly the land of their
origin, India, has horrible poverty. It also has
desperate problems of overpopulation, illiteracy,
hunger, mismanagement, and suffering. So it seems
strange that religions which have brought such trouble
to India would be imported to the West, where we have
flourished and prospered

under Christianity for many centuries."

  700 Club, 10-5-2000:  [On a dispute in Houston over
the distribution of 10 Commandments book covers

to schools, quoting an opponent of the book covers who
said that the first commandment, "Thou shall have no
other gods before me" is offensive to Hindus.]

  "The concept that one God, 'Thou shall have no other
gods before me,' will somehow upset a Hindu, that's
tough luck!  America was founded as a Christian
nation. Our institutions presuppose the existence of a
Supreme Being, a Being after the Bible. And we as
Americans believe in the God of the Bible. And the
fact that somebody comes with what amounts to an alien
religion to these shores doesn't mean that we're going
to give up all of our cherished religious beliefs to
accommodate a few people who happen to believe in
something else. You just can't do that. And that's
been the thing that's been pushed over and over again
. . ."

 QUESTION ASKED OF REV. PAT ROBERTSON AFTER
ROBERTSON'S SPEECH AT THE CITY CLUB OF CLEVELAND,
DECEMBER 8, 2000

  SUBODH CHANDRA                Good afternoon,
Reverend Robertson--

   ROBERTSON                     --Yes, sir--

   CHANDRA                        --and welcome to
Cleveland; we're glad to have you here--

   ROBERTSON                     --thank you, thank
you--

    CHANDRA                        --I admire your
leadership qualities and very much appreciate your
message of coming together as one nation--

    ROBERTSON                    --mmm hmm--

    CHANDRA                       --But I'd like for
you to answer this question as candidly as you can:
Does it really serve the purpose of trying to bring
this diverse nation together as one people, when you
have made statements as you have in the past, as you
did in your book, The New World Order [1992], "If
anybody understood what Hindus really believe, there
would be no doubt that they have no business
administering government policies in a country that
favors freedom and equality,"--you've said that on the
700 Club about the Constitution "in the hands of
non-Christians."  And I ask you, as a fellow graduate
of the Yale Law School--

    ROBERTSON                    [chuckles]

    CHANDRA                       --as somebody who
shares your passion for this country--

    ROBERTSON                    --yes--

    CHANDRA                       --and this
community--

  ROBERTSON                      --right--

    CHANDRA                       --how can you look
at me as the child of immigrants, as a devout Hindu,
and say that I don't have as much to offer this
country, in leadership, as you?  Thank you, sir.

    ROBERTSON                    That's good.  I'm
glad that you have come from India to this great
nation, because--

    CHANDRA                       --actually, I was
born in Oklahoma--

    ROBERTSON                    Well that's, that's
even better.  I have worked extensively in India.  I
have been there.  And, I--if you want me to be frank,
I guess, you know, am I supposed to be nice or
politically correct, or tell the truth?  I have, we
have, we have a tremendous amount of work going on in
India.  I took our flying hospital into India; I love
the Indian people; they are the most

beautiful, responsive people.  We have dug hundreds of
wells in villages to help people have water.  But I
also met with an Indian bishop, who said, "You see the
color of my skin," I said "Yes, it's quite dark," he
said, "well I am in he lower class, I'm an
untouchable" and I also met with a guy, whose name was
Nirmal Bhattacharya, who was in the B[r]ahmin class,
and he had fair skin, and my friend in India that I
spent extensive time with said that there're two to
three hundred million people that are suffering from
one of the worst types of Apartheid--much worse than
what they had in South Africa--and it's almost
exclusively based on their skin color.  The thought of
the Hindu the Brahmin had the head of Brahma
[sic]--these were the upper classes, the next layer
with his chest and when you get down to the
Untouchable they were under the feet of Brahma, they
were brought forth and for a person of the Brahma
[sic] caste if even an Untouchable would walk by them
and the shadow of the Untouchable would fall on them
they were unclean for at least a week.  But women
we've dealt with in villages where not able [sic] to
go to the wells if they were in the Untouchable class
and the Brahmin [sic] and the higher-class Hindus were
able to get their, get their water.  Now, God Bless
you, I mean was in a meeting I spoke to 500,000 people
in open-air meeting [sic] and it was one of the most
wonderful responses I've ever had.  The spiritual
hunger of those people is just extraordinary, and I
love India and I mean I pray for India virtually every
day and so, but I do not believe that somebody who
believes in a caste system and who believes that
somebody has got a Karma and that Karma can't be
erased once they're born that flies in the face of the
freedom and free enterprise that we have here in
America and you know if I am telling the truth [sic],
but I'm telling it on experience [sic] I have been
there seen it and know extensive [sic] about which I
speak.  But God Bless you, you went to Yale so you
have to be something very, very wholesome and
wonderful about you [sic].  I also have two graduates
of the Indian Institute of Technology working for me.
They're absolutely brilliant and I would hire as many
people from that organization--Intel takes 40% of
their technology people from the Indian Institute of
Technology--it is a superb school-- and I've got one
who is a chemical engineer and another one who has
graduated from some other division and I am just
overjoyed to have people of that brilliance working
for me.  And if you go out to Silicon Valley, I'm sure
you know, you don't see anybody except Indians and
Chinese, I mean there are very few, you know,
so-called white-skinned Caucasians out there because
the genius resides in these people who come from
overseas, regardless of their religion, so, so much
for that.

[NOTE THAT THE CITY CLUB'S RULES DO NOT PERMIT
FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS, COMMENT, OR REBUTTAL]

Contact address (from www.cbn.com):   Rev. Pat
Robertson   The Christian Broadcasting Network   977
Centerville Turnpike   Virginia Beach, VA 23463
Telephone CBN Main Switchboard (757) 226-7000; 24-hour
Prayer 1-800-759-0700   For e-mail contacts, see www.cbn.com