query about grameen

I agree with the observation that micro-credit schemes and
cooperative banking help in alleviating poverty. but i do not
understand how banks, deemed banks, i.e can maintain to give lower
interest rate than the market. After all, the initial capital has to
come in from the "regular economy" so, that will command a particular
rate of interest. How can I run a sustainable institution by asking
lower rates than what i myself give. My observaion is that this will
utlimately lead to erosion of capital of the bank and unless
supported by charity, will lead to the bank's collapse.

Co-operative banks and chit funds (urban equivalent of mutual
coperative banking)are a different ball game altogether, ecause the
fund  is created by the self-invested capital of the investor. this
is a model which will last.

Grameen is an example of the first case (I think), so is it sustained
by private or government charity ?

just a query, if i have made some mistakes, please tell me where i am
wrong .

regards
prakash

|               http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play!              |