Manipur madness - Rational Response

Mr Narayanan,

I am astounded that you and other Indian rightwingers
do not anticipate such reaction.  It is the the fruits
of the immoral behavior and attitude towards minority
groups.  Treating minorities as if we are lesser
Indians generates over time a separate identity and a
sieg mentality.  Once that occurs groups naturally
seek help from ANYONE that is willing to assist.  Into
this vacume enter those that have an axe to grind.
Remember the old adage:  The enemies of your enemies
are your friends.

I am surprised that there arn't more armed sovernity
movements around the country.  You fundamentalists
should get rid of your minority complex (ala Sinhalese
in Shri Lanka) and begin to build nationality unity.
These should be based upon INDIVIDUAL and local
freedoms.  The natural progration of not doing so is
scarry - perhaps and eventual breakup of the country.
Nations that demand strict obdience to federal
dictates historicaly fail - USSR, Roman Empire,etc.
If the attacks on Christians continue, I will not only
lobby the US congress on the issue, I will be willing
to financially support Christian defense groups.

Trust me stop pissing us off "Oh God" is right if we
choose to do so.

anil

http://www.indian-express.com/ie/daily/20001221/ied21029.html

> [...]
> and another minister allegedly paid lakhs of rupees
> to another outfit to =
> buy arms. Some say as much as Rs 50 crore pumped in
> by ministers as a =
> group every year!
>
> The police is completely helpless. In fact, officers
> have admitted that =
> they are forced to pay "protection money" to the
> militant groups. The =
> situation is so bad that funds have been sanctioned
> so that policemen =
> can buy back weapons that have been captured from
> them!
>
> The policemen's colleagues, the officers of the
> mighty Indian =
> Administrative Service, have been cowed into
> absolute compliance. They =
> sit at home rather than risk running into some
> militant in office. That =
> is not an exaggeration -- Manipur's terrorist groups
> think nothing of =
> strolling in to dabble with files.
>
> I assume they are just taking turns to practice
> running the state. This, =
> if matters continue to drift, cannot be too far
> away. The militants are =
> already running a parallel government -- operating
> everything from =
> ration shops to collecting taxes. Other than IAS and
> IPS officers, does =
> anybody in the wretched state actually pay income
> tax to the Government =
> of India?
>
> By any reckoning Manipur is a fit case for
> President's Rule. The =
> Constitutional machinery hasn't just collapsed in
> the state, it has been =
> taken over by the militants. These facts are nothing
> new, but have been =
> long known to the Government of India. So why hasn't
> the Manipur =
> ministry been kicked out long since?
>
> The answer is that such a decision must be ratified
> by both Houses of =
> Parliament. It is known to everyone that the
> Vajpayee ministry lacks a =
> majority in the Rajya Sabha. Effectively, the threat
> of President's Rule =
> is meaningless unless the support of the Congress
> (I) is forthcoming.
>
> I would like to pay my tribute to the front benches
> on both the Treasury =
> and the Opposition for the maturity they displayed
> on this occasion. The =
> prime minister decided to approach the leader of the
> opposition in a =
> kind of 'Track Two' diplomacy. Once she signalled
> her interest, the home =
> minister spoke to her in person, and the Union home
> secretary presented =
> her with all the unhappy details.
>
> It would have been easy for Sonia Gandhi to pretend
> that this was =
> something for the Union government to handle on its
> own. She could have =
> threatened to block any move in the Rajya Sabha. She
> did nothing of the =
> kind, instead offering to work together in the
=== message truncated ===