Re: Uniform civil code

A secular country does not have different laws governing different religious
sects - period. Why are we so surprised that division between various
groups in
India has not only being perpetuated but exacerbated over the last fifty
years?
The "great divide" between various religoins, various casts, various
languages,
tribes/race are being accentuated in India.  You need to look no further than
Indian constitution to understand the reason for such a divide.

First and foremost India has been divided into various states based on
language
which was the first mistake. Then there are articles in the Indian
constitution
(Articles 371A thru I) that specify special provision for different states and
its people. Believe it on not there is an article 371E that spcifies
establishment of a Central University in Ardhra Pradesh! Why should such
provisions belong in the constitution? There are other articles that specify
special provisions for various casts, religions etc.  But the biggest
contrubutor
to the "great divide" is the form of government that gives disproportionately
high power to the minority parties by giving them the power to topple the
government by controlling the swing votes in a coalition government like the
present one.  My theory is that unless India corrects some of these
fundamental
problems in the constitution the great divide will continue to be
perpetuated and
exacerbated ad infinitum. Of course "uniform civil code" is only one of the
items
that need to be implemented.

Suresh