Uniform civil code

I have lived in India, Canada, USA and Holland but, at least in these
secular countries, I do not see separate laws for different religions.  The
closest parallel situation I've seen comes from the province of Ontario,
Canada where there is a two track public education system - a regular
'secular' school board and a catholic christian 'separate' school board.
Since the school system is financed by provincial governments from property
taxes, local taxpayers can elect to have their portion of the tax directed
to one of the two school boards.  This effectively and neatly divides the
people into catholics/ non catholics.

Needless to say, a non catholic (or a non christian) is not eligible to
attend or teach in schools run by the 'separate' school board.  However, the
reverse does not apply i.e. the secular schools are open to all.  In recent
years, there has been a growing demand and legal challenges by other faith
groups to establish their own schools i.e islamic, sikhs, other christian
denominations.  The Ontario government is finding it increasingly harder to
deny other faith groups the same opportunities as they do catholics.

The tone of the debateis  becoming increasingly bitter and acrimonious  and
the potential for 'ghettoisation' of Canadian society is huge.  I fully
agree with your conclusion.

Sanjay Garg