definition of secularism

I think secularism is pretty well defined as far as the government is
concerned. There is no state religion and the state treats all its
subjects irrespective of their religion. Secularism does not negate
the role of spirituality. It merely states that the government won't
treat you any differently if you are a bhakt or a blasphemer. People
always have the option of being "communal" within their own homes,
but the government as such should not be. As i was saying, this is
not negation of spirituality, it is a neutral disregard of
spirituality. there are as many belief systems as there are people
and for a diverse country, secularism is not just o.k, it is
imperative.

regards
prakash

>Dear Krishnan,
>
>You have not answered my question asking you to define secularism
and
>communalism.  The problem that I have with secularism is that it
negates
>(rather than affirming) the role of spirituality as the center of
society.
>Recently, a new concept, called "Pluralism" has started gaining
popularity
>in Academic circles in America.  This idea not only permits the
peaceful
>coexistence of diverse spiritual belief systems but it also affirms
the
>central role or spirituality in man's existence.
>
>I don't think that the concept of Secularism should be implemented
in India,
>because unlike other countries that have implemented this idea,
Indian

|               http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play!              |