Re: Human Rights Watch Supports Taliban

Sundeep Nayak wrote:
> I think we are misplaced in our comments about HRW. We should not expect
an
> international HR NGO to act like one supported by Govt. of India. HR Watch
> is not a self-proclaimed HR group, it is also another NGO like the ones we
> support in IPI.
> I am not a member of HRW nor an Advocate of Taliban. I think
> in Afghan matters very few groups and countries are clean. Their interests
> and support for different militia (Taliban is essentially that) has
changed
> with time, so also commitment to gender justice, drugs traficking, arms
> supply and above all JEHAD.
>
> I feel HR Watch Reports are quite balanced in their reporting particularly
> about Kashmir and Taliban. India's tacit support for the Northern Alliance
> does not mean support of HR abuse by the Alliance nor denial of medicines
> and other critical HR aid to people in the areas ruled by Taliban.
>
> We should separate our perception from issues and actors.

On the contrary -- I see that it is you who are biased. Mr Nayak commits the
sin of moral equivalency, by assuming that those who are fighting the
Taliban must necessarily be as bad as the Taliban. Please, spare us your
superficial rush-to-judgement, and look objectively at the facts. The
Taliban are the ones motivated by hideously fanatical ideology, while those
resisting them are not of that school of thought.

Please look at the following video streamed documentary, on Ahmad Shad
Masoud:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Parliament/1358/massoud_video.ram

I found the documentary to be quite objective, and suggest that you view it
yourself, instead of making incredibly ignorant and uninformed statements
about the resistance against the Taliban. By presumptuously trying to equate
those are fighting fanaticism with the fanatics themselves, Mr Nayak does
extreme disservice to the cause of secularism. Oh, I forgot -- when it comes
to Islamic fundamentalism, Indian leftists consider it to be well within
their contrived definition of "secularism".

Where do you see any sanctions including ban on medicines to Afghans? The
sanctions are an arms embargo on the Taliban. How would this result in
hardship or misery to Afghans? It is precisely this type of distortion and
propaganda so often resorted to by the left, that invariably makes them an
ally of Islamic fundamentalists. Please get your facts straight, and not
straight from the Pakistani embassy.

Pakistan is engaged in a blatant invasion of its Afghan neighbor to the
north, and has even despatched its troops for direct combat inside the
country. Your allegation of Indian support to the Northern Alliance is
laughable, as India does not even have a border with Afghanistan. Where
would India provide support -- via Pakistan railway? Please don't jest.
Obviously, there is no neighbor or regional country that is as heavily
entrenched in Afghanistan as Pakistan is.

Let us condemn the Taliban's fanaticism for what it is. Let us not try and
gloss over the crimes of the Taliban and their Pakistani military backbone,
and let us not arbitrarily condemn those resisting their unjustice, simply
to avoid antagonizing them . It is this type of selective morality that has
more than given secularism a bad name amongst Indians.