Re: apology needed from Mr Vajpayee for betraying his Oath of Office

Mr. Guptara

May I ask on what basis you feel that Mr. Vajpayee should offer an apology.
You say that Mr. Vajpayee has betrayed the Constitution of India and that he
should apologize for "his statement on Ram Temple".   This is a very general
and ambiguous statement.

Please state specifically in what way you feel he has betrayed the
Constitution and/or which part of his statement you think he should
apologize for.  In his statement, Mr. Vajpayee said that this this issue
should be resolved through a negotiated settlement between the two
respective parties or through a Court decision.  Mr. Vajpayee reiterated in
Parliament that "The Court decision will be respected".  Is this what you
find offensive?

Perhaps you are referring to Mr. Vajpayee's statement with regard to the
construction of the Ram Temple being an expression of national sentiment.
Whether or not one supports construction of the Ram Temple in Ayodhya, one
must admit that it is at the very least an expression of North Indian
sentiment, given that the BJP swept the North Indian states during the 1989
elections on the Ram Temple platform (L.K. Advani's Rath Yatra).

Indeed, the popular perception in North India is that hardiners in the
Muslim Leadership were primarily responsible for the unfortunate demolition
of the Babari disputed structure.  The Muslim Leadership's strident stand
and unwillingness to consider the VHP's offer to move the Babari structure
"brick by brick" to an adjacent site in full accordance with the tenets of
Islam (even though there were several precedents in Islam for doing so) it
is felt, was primarily responsible for sowing the seeds of bitterness and
violence that resulted in the unfortunate demolition of the Babari disputed
structure.

Had the Muslim Leadership been more sympathetic to Hindu sentiments, the
Ayodya issue would have easily been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Raju Agarwal