No Subject

Dear "Sam" Garg,
     I respectfully disagree with your inferences:

> Mr Vajpayee's statements reflected the will of the people.

       Mr Vajpayee's statements reflected the will of the BJP and its
       supporters.

>He deserves not
> censure but praise and support for his courageous statement.

      He deserves to be exiled to Saudi Arabia for succumbing to electoral
      politics.

>As a long time
> NRI, I see around me overwhelming support for Mr Vajpayee's statements
>from fellow NRIs.

      As a long time NRI I see overwhelming nausea...from fellow NRIs.

>Case in point -  I frequent another open discussion forum
> which discusses and debates current topics from India.  When Mr Vajpayee's
> statements were posted on the board, it generated a flood of supporting
> comments.  In fact, when all was said and done, there over a 100 messages,
> the vast majority in support of Vajpayee.  ...To any reasonable person,
>this little  >example illustrates the broad based, grass roots support that
>Mr Vajpayee enjoys on this issue.

      Your example illustrates that BJP supporters are more vocal.
      Its possible...I'll buy it.

> To chastise him for reflecting the will of the majority goes against the
> very essence of a representative democracy.

      FIRST;  since when did the the bjp become a majority?
      SECOND; && Even if it were a majority, representative democracy
              works within a bill of rights. If a majority says,
              "liquidate the jews" , it does not become right.

> It also renders the second
> point moot - it is the majority, as is its right, which is rejecting the
> constitution, not Vajpayee.

       Again; bjp and its spporters are a minority.
       A vocal and demolition savvy minority, but still; a minority.

>The majority can no longer swallow a document
> which institutionalises differences - it would be akin to separate
> constitutions for blacks and whites in USA and would be laughed out of a
> grade 5 classroom here.

      How is razing of a 16th century religious structure in the 21st,
      deinstitutionalizing differences ?

-Rakesh

> >From: prabhu.guptara@ubs.com
> >To: debate@indiapolicy.org
> >Subject: apology needed from Mr Vajpayee for betraying his Oath of Office
> >Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:54:34 -0800 (PST)

> >Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate it!
> >All Indian organisations and individuals should support the following
> >demand
> >for an intervention by the President, and for an apology from Mr
Vajpayee,