Re: apology needed from Mr Vajpayee for betraying his Oath of Office

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 prabhu.guptara@ubs.com wrote:
 All Indian organisations and individuals should support the following demand
 for an intervention by the President, and for an apology from Mr Vajpayee,
 and  should urge evryone to stop dealing with Mr Vajpayee as long as he
does not
 issue such an apology.
 Whether he can and will dismiss the ministers is entirely a political
matter:
 if there is enough support for the move within and outside India, he will
 have to do so, but that, I repeat, is a political matter.

Isn't the Temple-Mosque/Mosque-Temple ISSUE a political dispute ?! It IS a
political matter. It has to be dealt with by the political
representatives. It has to be resolved in the Parliament. It is a
political matter because a SIGNIFICANT section of this polity is engaged
about it. This 'section' may consist of 'illiterates', 'nincompoops',
'rascals', 'fundamentalists' and whatever. But it consists of "Hindus",
"Musalmans", "Buddhists", et al. They have the collective POWER; the power
of the ELECTORATE; for heaven's sake it's a power from the Constitution!
The REALITY  is that the said issue is not a property dispute between two
recognisable parties. To be sure there is a property under dispute here; I
don't know what to call it, but that doesn't mean it is BAD. Values
emanate from the individual, including the value of tolerance. If 60 folks
out of 100 don't believe in tolerance and I am one of the 40, it makes NO
DIFFERENCE to what is "bad" or "good". These are obvious facts of the
matter. Why, pray, do you call for the apology ?

 The All India Babri Masjid Re-building Committee (AIBMRC) demanded a public

Registering an AIBMRC merely succeeds (if at all) in sweeping it under the
carpet. Let's talk about cleaning the house neat; how does it help if the
dust remains, only more carefully under the carpet ?

Religion is very much part of a polity. A government *has* to be INVOLVED
in the affairs of religions, PROACTIVELY. Note I am not saying religious
affairs, but affairs of the religions. There is a distinction, and one
that I think is confused no end by the real/psuedo/non/whatever
secularists.

Thanks.

rao