Re: apology needed from Mr Vajpayee for betraying his Oath of Office

Mr Vajpayee's statements reflected the will of the people.  He deserves not
censure but praise and support for his courageous statement.  As a long time
NRI, I see around me overwhelming support for Mr Vajpayee's statements from
fellow NRIs.  Case in point -  I frequent another open discussion forum
which discusses and debates current topics from India.  When Mr Vajpayee's
statements were posted on the board, it generated a flood of supporting
comments.  In fact, when all was said and done, there over a 100 messages,
the vast majority in support of Vajpayee.  This is the same forum where even
5 comments for a given topic is a stretch, let alone 5 *supporting*
comments.  To any reasonable person, this little example illustrates the
broad based, grass roots support that Mr Vajpayee enjoys on this issue.

To chastise him for reflecting the will of the majority goes against the
very essence of a representative democracy.  It also renders the second
point moot - it is the majority, as is its right, which is rejecting the
constitution, not Vajpayee.  The majority can no longer swallow a document
which institutionalises differences - it would be akin to separate
constitutions for blacks and whites in USA and would be laughed out of a
grade 5 classroom here.

Sanjay Garg