The extent of one's time in life

Dear Mr. Venugopal,

I was in Shillong, winding up affairs, including many official affairs. I
had 2 hours to dispose off all paper-work in Calcutta, and half a day to
clear disposal of all paper work of sale of land in Gurgaon.

In Guwahati, where I sold my other plot of land, I did spent about 20 hours
on 4 different days completing formalities on my own in 5 different offices
plus banks (DC office, Settlement office, Ghty Metropolitan Dev Authority,
Mauzadar office, and Income Tax office). As I was donig the running around
myself, on autorickshaws, I DID NOT have to even contemplate using 'agents'
since I had access to the "senior-most" officials instantly - all much
junior to me. But I did note that at the end of the process the common folk
(close relatives and friends from Assam) were astounded since the documents
(various clearances, registrations) which I obtained in a very few days
could never be obtained by a common man from the same offices in less than
3 months, even after paying heavy bribes.

When you are migrating and completely disposing off all your property and
sending all goods away, including by air cargo, train, truck, etc.
(Shillong-Ghty-Calcutta-Delhi-Melbourne, etc.)., you do not have the luxury
of doing everything oneself, including calling up CVC, making fax msgs,
etc., about India's corruption. I did write to N. Vittal about how
corruption needs to be eradicated from India and his response was posted on
IPI some months ago. No results come from mere allegations. The 'process'
of witness, proof, is too cumbersome, and the culprits will always escape
under the current system.

When my brother has to export goods out of India he has found he can fight
the customs officers only at his own peril. India gains foreign exchange
but he is FORCED to bribe merely to send his legitimate goods outside. He
too has got so sick of India he is finalizing plans to emigrate.

My brother-in-law who tried working in government as a supplier of high
quality services in computers gave up when even the accounts officer of the
Cabinet Secretariat continuously harrassed him and my sister at home for
money in order to award a contract. They have no inclination to contest
corruption which is rampant like the air in India's government offices.

Why only blame me for giving up once in my 41 years? Tell me how many of
your own relatives have survived without bribing folks in India today?
Sorry about that, but if you think that anyone could have done better in
organizing the 1000 things needed, and yet fought the corruption in India
on your way out, you are most welcome to your view!! I surrender. I am
guilty of indirectly supporting corruption once in my life.

I failed. And if folks feel because of that, that folks like me have no
right to show the way out to a corruption free society for India, I should
simply quit India permanently, take Aussie citizenship, and forget the goal
of IPI permanently. Tell me what you want folks like me to do.

IPI is a forum to create a new India, where corruption CANNOT exist. Read
the manifesto in detail. Improve it. Form a party. Fight for the cause.

Let us not get diverted by an unfortunate statement of India's reality; let
us look beyond into the creation of a new system. In my view, it is time to
cleanse the system completely, and we have to work toward that at once.
Time is running out.  Join in the political movement we are talking about,
and we can do wonders together.

In fact I did try to form the political party of my dreams while in India,
but there was so much confusion, I gave up.  Now, we can try openly,
together. If folks on IPI are willing, we can change India.

And now I must restrain myself and get busy in my search for a livelihood
in Australia. Already my hands and arms are in constant pain from excessive
typing in 1998-99. If I do not spend time on hunting for a job, I will be
on the road before long.

SS