Elitism

 <<but can we really leave the law making process to unlettered people
who do  not respect the law in the first place? Does it make any sense
that  while we have such a rigorous selection process for those who
implement
  the law, we let just any "lallu-panju" (no pun intended) frame those
 very laws. If this is democracy, God help us!  >>
There are lot of points in the above 'logic' which I dont share.
1. Why this contempt towards 'unlettered' people? Who has kept them
unlettered over generations? By our combined failure to live upto the
ideals of the Constitution of India (I dont see any relevance of any new
manifesto or vision or mission documents as the constitution of india is
very clear in its objectives and manifesto, as a clear cut statement is
found in its part IV, from articles 36 to 51) all of us have some
contribution, whether direct or indirect in the general mess around and
in particular, on the high levels of illiteracy we have in this country.
Why have contempt or hatred towards illiterates? What are several of the
highly "brilliant" people of this country doing after they migrate? How
does that help this country any more than the daily toil which most
'unlettered' people in this country put in?
2. If that contempt is due to the notion that "poor people do not pay
taxes", I would like to state that firstly, there is anyway a high
incidence of indirect taxes rather than direct taxes. Secondly, the
unequal system and the fact that right from childhood, and in fact, even
before birth, discrimination starts and civic facilities like education
or health or other stimuli required for blossoming of the mind of the
child and conditions for general well being--- all these are simply not
available for the poor. You can go and visit any tribal village in
Orissa, Andhra or Madhya Pradesh and see for yourself the condition of
all the public services and opportunities available.  All this operates
in such a manner that their wage structure itself is kept by the system
so low that automatically they contribute their sweat and hard work. It
is like your at-source-deduction methods.
3.And it is not that legislators can make any law that pleases them, as
one can see the elaborate system of rules and procedure and bureaucracy
within each Legislature Office too. There are lots of people whoare
expected to apply their minds and bring legislative work upto a standard
after which the decision-making would start. And of course as a
collective body, Legislature has its Constitutional function as the
supreme law-making body. There are also a number of short-term training
courses organised for the new legislators for orientation in
parliamentary procedures and rules.
4. Why does the person who has made such comments not go and contest
elections and win an assembly constituency so that he can make effective
laws?
5. Elaborate selection procedures for government servants are required
because government needs best possible advice. And why not? But no
selection procedure at the moment is able to ensure that people with
sensitivity and empathy with the problems of the poor are able to get
in. Being brilliant is one aspect. But how does one use that brilliance
is altogether a different aspect, quite unfortunately.And one sees that
the 'gap' between the elected leaders and the bureaucrats is narrowing
down in most States in terms of grasp of a subject.  I agree that all
public functionaries should be well-informed and be thorough in their
knowledge. But having a mediocre person who gets democratically elected
as a leader is surely a better thing to have than having  a Hitler as
your leader. Or, does anybody disagree?
6. Why dont we ask same questions to the employer in a private sector
job? When shareholders are not that educated, why do u need an
extraordinary MD for your company?
7. Is it a question of aesthetics? You are so nice and sweet and have a
keen sense of beauty while they dont have, right? OK, what is that
beauty if it cannot see that so many millions of people have been kept
marginalised by sheer lack of basic facilites and how beautiful and
artistic it would be if only one could try to help them in securing
better lives? Isn't it a thing of beauty to have peace on this planet?
8. Is it a question of being 'dirty'? What about going into the depth of
this question by making an analysis of how much dirt is being caused to
this planet by whom? Who is damaging the environment most? Who is using
most recycling and conservation of precious resources? And who is
causing desruction of environment by wanton greed and in our urge for
'better' consumer goods? It appears to me that the poor and the third
world are mostly cleaning up the mess the first world has been creating.
This is so, whether u analyse use of hydrocarbons, or use of junk food
or chlorofluorocarbons or plastics or any such parameter one wishes to
analyse. I am not eulogizing poverty, as it is certainly a bad state to
live in. But rather than helping the poor to recognise their rights and
to overcome the systemic difficulties, advocating fascist logic is not
acceptable to me.