more violations of cultural relativism

Srinath S wrote:

> By materialism I meant, "solution by the use of materials" -- as in
> incorporation of technology, etc. The ornamentation of places of worship is
> not materialism -- but spiritualism or organization/governance based on
> religion. That the practices involves the copious use of materials does not
> mean that materials were considered the solution; the solution was still
> searched for in spirituality.

I disagree.  Indian culture, when studied under an objective lens, is no
different than most other cultures.  It is important to note that Indian
Culture is probably the most diverse in the World.  However, there is an order
to our seemingly vast and chaotic diversity.  This simpler picture was greatly
exaggerated and was made into something very complicated.

Indians posses the basic desire to better their lives through individual
achievements - we were all born as libertarians!  We always had this trait!!
The use of "spiritual" component is propelled by lack of information to find a
particular solution to a perceived problem.

That is, when information is lacking and a solution seems
incomprehensible/inconclusive, then the Indian culture is no different than
any
other in the application of spirituality.  However, I wouldn't be the one to
make a daring conclusion that Indians, by their very nature, tend to be
"spiritual" or posses some innate tendency toward spirituality!

Indians have been as materialistic as any other culture.  What is devastating
the greatest democracy in the World is our institutional model.  Our
institutions no longer allow us to express our basic instincts in a manner
that
can build families, communities, states, and a great nation!!  Our
institutions
are too busy serving themselves while the individual decays.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.