Re: monopoly of US on Internet Domains

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 vamsi@siliconcorp.com wrote:

 Padmanabha Rao wrote:

 > one ought to be grateful to the americans that they threw open a valuable
 > network for global use.

 I believe I was merely expressing Mr. Mehta's concern about monopolizing
 domain names...

I didn't mean to point at one.  Done.

 ...Which no country has the right to do so beyond the 2-letter
 suffixes alloted for each country.  You failed to debate on this concern.

I see no issue, let alone a point of debate. The internetwork is build on
no notion of rights. The US has no right to claim exclusive use of the
.mil and .gov domains.  The Non-US have no rights to say they can't do
that, unless we want to build the third Net (or is it the fourth ?) as a
co-operative enterprise. It's the old chicken-egg problem. For one, the
Net has not been a global co-operative enterprise. The US paid for the
early backbone; it's got its property rights. We might consider building
an Asian Internet (equal contribution by all nations) if we want
egalitarianism here.

 I am not, I repeat not, grateful to your masters in the US!!  Americans
didn't
 "throw open" the network to the world because TCP/IP is inherently "open".

I believe the TCP/IP were developed by someone in the US, with a purpose
to boot, and paid for it ? I cannot question his/her conditions for its
use if s/he has laid them down. We might consider developing another
protocol, co-operatively to solve this historical impediment. In throwing
open the protocol for all the world to adopt and use, the inventor was
merely seeking to exploit network economics. Who says there's a free
lunch. I am grateful s/he did. It saved me some trouble and the costs, I
think, isn't much (please correct me on the costs, if I am wrong; I think,
our conception of the Net as a medium, a machine, a business is diffuse
and it is extremely speculative to say what impact the .mil and .gov
domains would have; india.gov and nepal.mil sound grand but what is the
*impact* of not having those?).

 ...I look at the situation entirely from a different perspective.  That
 is, the Internet, as we know it now, is innevitable.  No master had to
 give the technology to his Indian servant (as some servants, with Sahib
 mentality, may choose to think so) because computers around the world
 would have found a way to interconnect regardless of who proposed the
 interconnection protocol.

Yes, of course. TCP/IP is not the only way to connect computers. There's
an infinite number possible, including a GOD-TCP/IP (Globally Operated and
Developed TCP/IP ). We can only wish the globe had thought about this in
1969. The US gave itself and the Non-US the TCP/IP, period. It connected
me to them and the world, equally. I owe them a debt, even if they have
already reaped it by themselves.

rao