Manifesto - Para 15 Electoral Reforms. COMMENTS

Para 15 (Electoral reforms) . Sub Para 1 of the Manifesto reads as =
under:
"Representatives of the people will be paid liberally to attract the =
best and most experienced people from India into governance. An MP would
=
get about Rs.20 lakhs per year, and an MLA about Rs.5 lakhs per year, =
fully taxable. Apart from free housing at the state capital, no other =
perquisite will be provided."
=20
My comments:
=20
First, I would like to clarify this. When we say "Public =
Representatives" and "Governance", are we talking only about the =
Legislature or also about the Executive?  I assume that since this =
section deals with electoral reform, we are dealing with the legislative
=
bodies. In my opinion, it is the executive branch of Govt which should =

be paid well to attract the best talent. The legislature is a whole =
different ball game.

For one, I do not subscribe to the view that paying a person well is =
enough to prevent him from being corrupt. This is because greed does not
=
have limits. Besides, corruption has its roots in power more than in =
want. The legislative bodies should consist of people who are (a) =
qualified by virtue of their experience and intellectual abilities to =
contribute to the process of legislation (b) people of integrity and =
stature (c) people who are not looking to make a career out of politics.
=
They should be persons who have achieved a degree of success in their =
respective fields and have the time and the inclination to contribute to
=
the law making process of the country.

I also firmly believe that we should not cram our legislative bodies =
with ruffians, buffoons and generally undesireable types under cover of
=
a farcial democracy. Are the goondas and history sheeters true =
representatives of the people? I am not trying to be elitist here but =
can we really leave the law making process to unlettered people who do =

not respect the law in the first place? Does it make any sense that =
while we have such a rigorous selection process for those who implement
=
the law, we let just any "lallu-panju" (no pun intended) frame those =
very laws. If this is democracy, God help us!=20

How do we achieve this? By making the post of MP or MLA unattractive to
=
the gold digger and the criminal by taking away a lot of unnecessary =
perks and powers. By having a rigorous vetting and selection procedure =

before a person can contest elections. Does this subvert democracy? In a
=
manner of speaking, yes. But that is a small price to pay for the =
resultant clean up. The catch? All this reform needs the support of =
those very MP's and MLA's that we are seeking to throw out. So, fat =
chance!

Taking the liberty of shooting off at a tangent here, I would also like
=
to add that Ministers should not necessarily be elected representatives.
=
They should be the best people for the job and should be appointed by =
the peoples' representatives to run their respective departments much =
like the board of a corporation hires executives to run a company. They
=
should again be people who have achieved success in their respective =
fields. Their CV's and a declaration of their assets should be made =
public. Besides, they should undergo performance reviews. Pay them the =

moon but make them accountable.

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C01088.2AE325E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Para 15 (Electoral reforms) . Sub Para
=
1 of the=20
Manifesto reads as under:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Representatives of the people will be
=
paid=20
liberally to attract the best and most experienced people from India =
into=20
governance. An MP would get about Rs.20 lakhs per year, and an MLA about
=
Rs.5=20
lakhs per year, fully taxable. Apart from free housing at the state =
capital, no=20
other perquisite will be provided."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><U>My comments</U>:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First, I would like to clarify =
this.&nbsp;When we=20
say "Public Representatives" and "Governance", are we talking only about
=
the=20
Legislature or also about the Executive?&nbsp; I assume that since this
=
section=20
deals with electoral reform, we are dealing with the legislative bodies.
=
In my=20
opinion, it is the executive branch of Govt which should be paid well to
=
attract=20
the best talent. The legislature is a whole different ball =
game.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For one, I do not subscribe to the view
=
that paying=20
a person well is enough to prevent him from being corrupt. This is =
because greed=20
does not have limits. Besides, corruption has its roots in power more =
than in=20
want. The legislative bodies should consist of people who are (a) =
qualified by=20
virtue of their experience and intellectual abilities to contribute to =

the=20
process of legislation (b) people of integrity and stature (c) people =
who are=20
not looking to make a career out of politics. They should be persons who
=
have=20
achieved a degree of success in their respective fields and have the =
time and=20
the inclination to contribute to the law making process of the=20
country.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also firmly believe that we should =
not cram our=20
legislative bodies with ruffians, buffoons and generally undesireable =
types=20
under cover of a farcial democracy. Are the goondas and history sheeters
=
true=20
representatives of the people? I am not trying to be elitist here but =
can we=20
really leave the law making process to unlettered people who do not =
respect the=20
law in the first place? Does it make any sense that&nbsp;while we have =

such a=20
rigorous selection process for those who implement the law, we let just
=
any=20
"lallu-panju" (no pun intended) frame those very laws. If this is =
democracy, God=20
help us! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How do we achieve this? By making the =

post of MP or=20
MLA unattractive to the gold digger and the criminal by taking away a =
lot of=20
unnecessary perks and powers. By having a rigorous vetting and selection
=

procedure before a person can contest elections. Does this subvert =
democracy? In=20
a manner of speaking, yes. But that is a small price to pay for the =
resultant=20
clean up. The catch? All this reform needs the support of those very =
MP's and=20
MLA's that we are seeking to throw out. So, fat chance!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Taking the liberty of shooting off at a
=
tangent=20
here, I would also like to add that Ministers should not necessarily be
=
elected=20
representatives. They should be the best people for the job and should =

be=20
appointed by the peoples' representatives to run their respective =
departments=20
much like the board of a corporation hires executives to run a company.
=
They=20
should again be people who have achieved success in their respective =
fields.=20
Their CV's and a declaration of their assets should be made public. =
Besides,=20
they should undergo performance reviews. Pay them the moon but make them
=

accountable.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>