Re: Not quite, Mr. Prakash!

What if 10,000 onion uttapam sellers lose their livelihood but 100,000
cheese uttampam sellers are created.  That is definitely a plus.  What if
only 10,000 cheese uttap are created, that is not that bad either.  What if
1000 are created.  Well what is the problem with that?  Same case with
pepsi.  Yes a 1000 drink sellers will lose their livelihood, but a 1000
other guys will get jobs stocking vending machines.  And you miss the most
important point.  Prakash alone will not result in the destruction of 10,000
onion uttapam sellers.  Large sections of society will turn to cheese
uttampams and hence 10000 onion guys will lose.  Would you rather have
10,000 onion uttap making guys or a 100,000 happy cheese eating prakash
kinda guys.  Why favor one part of society over another?  Who gives you the
authority to do that?

AP

--- Naveenkj@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/23/00 12:58:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Cprakash@goplay.com writes:
>
> << Have I denied the existense of a society ? I only said I like to eat
>  Cheese Uttapam and I want my society to be free enough for me to do
>  that !! (without moralists coming and knocking on my door)>>
>
> You should be able to eat cheese uttapam if you choose.  However, if your
> interests of eating cheese should come at the expense of local onion
> uttapam
> sellers losing their markets and livelihoods then it should not be a
> decision
> left upto you but to be discussed and voted on by the entire populous.
> (Just
> like how you might want to drink pepsi cola but if that would result in
> the
> elimation of 200000 local drink sellers... that question needs to be
> addressed.) Society at large is far more important than one individual.
>
> Peace,
>
> Naveen

=====
Ah, Love ! could thou and I with Fate conspire, To grasp this sorry scheme
of Things entire, Would not we shatter it to bits ---- and then, Re-mould
it nearer to the Heart's Desire !

Jab purdah nahi koi khudah seh, to bandhon se purdah kya.

Abhijeet A. Pradhan, 44J, Reading Rd, Edison, NJ 08817
Tel #: 732-452-1157      email: perdi420@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/perdi420/       http://www.thethinkingindian.com