Brain Drain

Mr. Pramod Mahajan has expressed concern about the flight of hundreds of
thousands of IT professionals from India as Germany, Japan and France have
now started to woo Indian professionals besides the U.S. According to Mahajan
the Prime Minister is likely to make an appeal to Silicon Valley
enterpreneurs to return to India during his coming visit. The governemnt it
appears may be waking up to the Brain Drain at last. Mahajan goes on to say
that the government does not propose to restrict emigration given that we are
a democratic country.

It is one thing for Engineers and Scientists to go abroad to acquire skills
and education it is quite another matter that 60% of the output of our
Engineering colleges is headed abroad for good while nobody at home has quite
figured out how to design a governer's mansion that would not fall on his
head in the middle of the night. I think the Brain Drain phenomenon that has
been going on for the last 50 years is a great shame because while the nation
loses out on the creative potential of its educated workforce, other
countries get cheap labour that not only run their industry but also pays
huge amount of tax with a minimum amount of political rights and social
benefits.

If Mr. Mahajan and the Prime minister have indeed woken up to this crisis
(unlike many unthinking Indians who consider Brain Drain a matter of pride),
the government should take a honest look at the conditions which force our
people out of our own country to live and work as second class citizens in
the West. I wonder if our government is at last willing to listen.