Re: Cultural artifacts

Again we come to the point of individuals. Nobody can impose a
culture on any self-respecting human. We identify mores and morals
according to our own thought and live according to them.

The law, on the other hand, can restrict cultural evolution. for eg:
there are many consensual activities which are prohibited all across
the world.these do not hurt any other person, so why are they
banned ? The pre-islamic hindu culture was very life-affirming and
they did not deny the body , as is proved by the kamasutra or the
temples of khajuraho. but this changed with the invasion of the
muslims. They imposed their culture on the hindus. the culture was
indeed assimilated,but the prudery that started then remains till
date. This was not a culture that spread by choice or advertisement,
but by conquest. That greatly differed from the present day
advertisement based culture change. the only aspect is today we have
a choice, that day we didn't. You think the multinationals try to
impose their culture on us, you see the ads(in india) and movies of
today, you'll feel we have become totally and completely indian !!

consider that
prakash

|               http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play!              |